Making momma cows???

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree with the commercial breed association statement, but how many producers of commercial cattle would be willing to provide information.

I have only registered cattle but I don't pamper and pet them and expect them to work under harsh conditions.

I was just throwing that out as food for thought.
What is a good mama cow will vary from place to place, but you'd expect some features to be pretty consistent across the board.

How many commercial folks would do collect & turn in data? Not many, I'd say - there's no $$ in it for them, and perhaps nothing to brag about.

I did a progeny-test breeding trial for a purebred seedstock producer several years ago - weighed calves at birth and weaning. First and only time I've ever collected birthweights - and have no intention of ever doing it again - unless someone contracts with me to do another trial. All I really care about is a live calf on the ground - I don't care what it weighs... but thanks to the efforts of purebred breeders and epds developed by breed associations, I can pick and choose sires based on anticipated calving ease/birth weight, weaning weight, etc. - and feel fairly certain that the calves will - mostly - come as expected.

If your state has a BCIA program they should have commercial records. I know Alabama recognizes top producing cows in commercial herds each year at the annual meeting. They don't announce Bulls but I bet they have data on the Bulls used as well as the cows.

Gizmom

Latest posts