Making Childhood Memories

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
chuckie didnt want to hijack your thread....

Today while raking some hay a family who just moved in next to my land I do not know the people but they have kids about the age of mine and today they were all standing by the fence the whole family and the kids were waving like crazy and had the biggest grins when I unfolded the rake and began raking the hay. The parents went inside the kids sat on there toys and watched me the whole time it brought back so many memories of when I was a kid and watched my grandparents and uncles and cousins farm while I was too small. I remember thinking wow those machines are so cool I want to grow up and drive them now I do not show that much enthusiasm...lol I went by the fence when I was done gave a wave and spoke while they smiled ear to ear and told them watch this and I folded up and chained the v rake I told them listen to me as I go down the road I would open it up for them sure enough I had to go to my gate and came down wide open they were standing at the end of their driveway then with the parents waving. I would have stopped and gave them a ride if the parents would allow and I wasn't trying to beat the dark and get finished and get home. chuckies thread then those kids brought me back to my childhood.

I can remember back when things thrilled me. Mostly if it is children that have never been around tractors or hay equipment before. They would love to go for a ride when you have time. They will always remember the fist time they rode on a tractor.

Chuckie":141hfss3 said:
I can remember back when things thrilled me. Mostly if it is children that have never been around tractors or hay equipment before. They would love to go for a ride when you have time. They will always remember the fist time they rode on a tractor.

Definately will take them for a ride if their parents approve. The parents may want a ride too cause they looked excited too :lol2:

Chuckie":2j51pc8r said:
A little trailer with a few bales of hay for them to sit on would be a lot of fun.

True I told my wife about it she said invite them to come see the cattle if they would like. My daughters school doesnt have many kids that live or know about farming and the principal is not opposed to having them do a field trip on our place If we can work that out I will do it and put rails on the hay wagon and square bales to sit on.

Chuckie":3v3ewfhn said:
Everybody will want to spend the night at your house now. :nod:

LOL not looking forward to that its scary to have 1 kid spend the night that you dont really know.

You've seen the movie, "Bad Boys" when the young man comes to date the daughter? Well just use a different version of it on an overnight stay. Just clean up the language. Martin Lawrence is so funny after he swallows that pill, and they go report to their boss what they found. Martin is all over the place. I have watched that several times. And Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I have many fond childhood memories of my grandmother milking the cows, churning to make butter. I always liked to watch her skim off the rich cream. Ladies from
town would coming smelling like perfume, with their pint jars to buy cream. Mammah, as we called her,sold milk, butter, buttermilk, and cream. I still have people tell me that hers was the best in the county.
She had chickens and my granddaddy carried fresh eggs in a bucket to town and bartered them for groceries. My sister and I would catch every trip that we could ,because he would always get us some candy.
I remember Grandaddy coming early one summer morning to take us to see the baby chicks, so soft and yellow.
I have many precious childhood memories when life seemed so simple and good. I often long for those days of the fifties to return, but I am afraid they are gone with the wind.
Thank you, Chuckie for reminding us to think back to these happy days. The memories leave us with very nostalgic feelings.

I should have put this in Childhood Memories. Please excuse me. It is bad to get old. I see myself slipping every day.

We've given quite a few farm tours to school age kids. There are a lot of different crops to learn about and a lot of animals that they can touch and or see on our place. It is really rewarding when kids that I don't even remember walk up and ask me if I still have that horse that they remember or some kid calling me to ask a beekeeping question because he was inspired by seeing them at my place and now has his own.
My big dun mare is mine for life as when she was for sale the outcry was horrendous. She has given more first rides than the ponies at the fair. :lol:
As much as an introvert as I am, farming is something that I will always share with anyone that wants to learn. A lot of people really crave this kind of life but they're scared of the unknown. Give them a piece to their puzzle to build on and a lot of them will finish it on their own. AND they will vote ag-friendly for the rest of their lives.

Chuckie":38esnm1p said:
You've seen the movie, "Bad Boys" when the young man comes to date the daughter? Well just use a different version of it on an overnight stay. Just clean up the language. Martin Lawrence is so funny after he swallows that pill, and they go report to their boss what they found. Martin is all over the place. I have watched that several times. And Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

:lol:

cow pollinater":38esnm1p said:
We've given quite a few farm tours to school age kids. There are a lot of different crops to learn about and a lot of animals that they can touch and or see on our place. It is really rewarding when kids that I don't even remember walk up and ask me if I still have that horse that they remember or some kid calling me to ask a beekeeping question because he was inspired by seeing them at my place and now has his own.
My big dun mare is mine for life as when she was for sale the outcry was horrendous. She has given more first rides than the ponies at the fair. :lol:
As much as an introvert as I am, farming is something that I will always share with anyone that wants to learn. A lot of people really crave this kind of life but they're scared of the unknown. Give them a piece to their puzzle to build on and a lot of them will finish it on their own. AND they will vote ag-friendly for the rest of their lives.

Great post

Latest posts