Makeshift Antiseptic-Was This A Good Choice?

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowhereford II

Reaction score
We gave booster shots and tatooed the calves this evening. After driving over to the lease, through the gate, and back to the barn and corral, discovered that I had forgotten a bottle of rubbing alcohol to sanitize the ears and tatoo equipment. Also, I had no cloth to apply it to the ears if I had it. It was about 7:30 at this point, and we wanted to be finished before dark. (This happened another time, and I found a bottle of alcohol based hand sanitizer in the truck, and applied it with my handkerchief.) No sanitizer this time, but did have handkerchief. Thought about it for a few moments. Examined what I did have, which included some pour on ivermectin....Looked at label, but couldn't find a list of inert ingredients. But I thought of the similarity of smells between rubbing alcohol and the ivermectin, and I have from time to time accidentally splashed some ivermectin on my skin...feels similar to alcohol. I chose to hope for the best, and used it to clean the ears and pour over tatoo digits before performing the task. Does anyone know if ivermectin pour on does indeed use alcohol as its carrier, or contain some alcohol?

Before anyone admonishes me for getting ivermectin on my skin, I know it is a bad idea, but when you've already splashed it on you it's a little to late to do anything but wash as soon as possible. At least I probably don't have worms. :lol:

I checked my book of labels... looks like injectable ivermectin has propylene glycol and alcohol as carriers, but pour-on ivermectin doesn't list a carrier or preservative. Can't help you there, sorry.

FWIW, I've never seen ears sanitized before tattooing. All the vets I've watched bangs vaccinate will clean the tattoo equipment between herds, but never ears. Ink goes on, tattoo applied, more ink afterwards and calf leaves the chute.

The sanitizing is recommended by the manufacturer of the tattoo equipment if I recall correctly. Regardless, that's the way I was taught and have always done it. It does help to clean the grime off where you can see the tattoo more easily anyway. Thanks for your reply.

I just whipe the ear out as best I can with my thumb then rub in the ink.

dun":feztnfz7 said:
I just whipe the ear out as best I can with my thumb then rub in the ink.

That's my method too.

I usually tattoo first and then apply the ink though and brush it in with an old toothbrush

Ivomec pour-on is alcohol based...will actually burn. Another reason I use Cydectin as it's oil based. Makes for a very expensive skin cleaner but shouldn't harm anything. Just be sure and wash your hands well with a good soap if you do get it on you.

TNMasterBeefProducer":nweti165 said:
It shouldnt hurt anything. If you have spilled it on you before at least you can rest assured that you are probably worm free.
Might make your hind end itch, though.

greenwillow, just last week there is a guy who delivers vet supplys and makes rounds around this area and anyway he stopped in and got to talking and he says he regularly deworms himself with ivomec every year. Not that I would try it but he seemed to think it was a good idea. I'm pretty sure there is some human grade deworms out on the market. I think it'd be interesting to see what worms humans have.

I clean the ear, tattoo, then rub the ink in with my fingers. Hadn't thought about an old toothbrush. Largent and Sons Herefords of Kaycee, Wyoming must use the toothbrush method too. Now I get the point of the story in their newsletter this month that told of their little grandson brushing his teeth with tattoo ink! :shock: :lol: :help:

On the first tattoo, I completely punctured the ear, and had some bleeding. Perhaps the ivermectin helped keep the flies away ;-)

Latest posts