Major calving disaster

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne,

I honestly didn't realize that was even an option the other night. We usually are willing to go to great lengths to care for a sick animal. I think though, that I would have still made the same decision given the fact that we had a loose scalpel blade some where in the calf or possibly the cow. I would be concerned that someone could get hurt with any further exploration attempts. Things were bad enough already - an ER bill really would have been the proverbial straw....!

Keren,

The blade actually came off of the handle, so a string wouldn't have helped (though she didn't have it tied either). I would have felt more comfortable "fishing" for an intact scalpel, but not the blade alone. Those critters are sharp and can cut down to bone pretty quick!

I would find a new vet if I were you. she should not have been using a scapel in the first place. :oops: I have assisted
in several c- sections, one turned out well, the other 3 expired( all 4 done on the farm) I will not have this vet do a c- section
for me on the farm, I will haul to the large animal clinic. :roll:
I have seen alot in the past 35 years. We learn from experience.
I had a cow that tried to deliver twins( the first was breech and dead, the second did ok) the cow prolasped her uterus
and died as the vet was shoving it back into her. In my opinion,
the vet did not do right by this cow( she was VERY sedated,
laid out on the ground, went shocky) It was a cluster F! :mad:
Any way, I continue to use this vet for SOME things, the
bad stuff gets transferred! :roll:

I'm not the least bit ashamed to say that we love our cattle and are in distress when they are. Sorry for your loss.

From what I can gather on your post Carrie, I think you and your vet did all that you could and made the right decisions. Hindsight is always 20-20 and the shoulda, coulda, woulda's always come after the fact. We've never had that exact situation, but this spring we had a first time heifer calf when we weren't home. We got home to find the HUGE calf delivered, but dead, it's head was tucked between it's front legs, and the bedding in the pen was all tore up like the heifer had been in labor a long time. She couldn't stand on her back legs. Long story short she did recover and was bred back and will calf in January. We've also had a cow retain placenta and after a long battle with infection she made a turn for the better, only to start going downhill again so we sold her before we paid someone to come and pick her up. If you know what I mean. Anyway, I think you made some sound choices even though they were difficult.

How awful Carrie.. I'm very sorry for your loss. Like other stated, we get attached to our animals and it's hard to lose any of them, especially a good one.

We've never had to have a c-section ( not for lack of trying ) but I agree that on the farm, and after all the other problems, at that point it would have been throwing good money after bad. And I agree that at some point you really feel like you've put the cow through enough. I think you made the best decision you could considering the circumstances.

Sorry for your loss. Really. I certainly know how it feels.

Ya'll may remember my post from a year or so ago regarding same.......dead calf in great cow, so big that it ruptured her uterus, vet called it quits after a time, as he should have.....and down she went.

Had a friend do the shooting as I had no heart for it.

My only observation is this, as stated by previous posters.........an 'unprotected' scalpel should never go into a uterus, ever.. way too easy, even for an experienced vet to cut or knick things they shouldn't. and anything that does go in should have a string or other way to retrieve it when it falls from ones grip, as it surely will.

Gloved hands and arms, rope, and wire saw should have been the only things going in there to retrieve a dead calf......all or parts.......

Even if one is forced to leave bits and pieces to be expelled, or manually evacuated at a later time, the cow maybe has a chance. But a scalpel left inside...........nope.

Carrie, sounds like you had little choice under the conditions, and you chose the right thing to do under the circumstances. And it's hard.....I know......I hope there is never a next time, but if there ever is............don't let anyone go in with an open blade that cannot be recovered.

We all learn things, mostly through unfortunate experience, as I have so many times in the past, and I am sorry you have had this one...I am sure the vet has gained some insight as well.

Makes me wonder if the general beef loving public has any clue what we go through to put steak and burgers on their plates day in and day out? Hummmmmmmmm :cboy:

I probably wouldn't use that vet again. I wonder what would have happened with a different vet? It just doesn't sound like she was the best vet around.

Ok folks, this calving season officially stinks.

I just had to put down a 1 day old bull calf that had an imperforate anus. Noticed this little guy straining to poop, took a look and could find no opening and his little rear was clean as a whistle. Had the vet out (different one this time) He was able to open the membrane covering the anal sphincter, but the intestines ended in a blind loop, no rectum. ARGH!

Does anyone know if this is a heritable trait? This was an Angus calf out of VRD and a Forever Lady dam.

I'm beginning to feel like the bovine Dr. Kevorkian.....sigh.

Actually had an angus heifer try and have twin bull calves. Found her in dry creek bed and tended to her there. Both calves died inside her. We were able to pull the first calf. Second calf was in the exact same position as the calf mentioned in the beggining. The vet came out and some how (worked for 3 hours) managed to dis-memeber the head from the body and then removed the calf in peices. BAD DEAL all the way around. Later on that night we also lost the cow. Best Heifer and 2 big bull calves DEAD. $1,500+$750(2)= $3,000 down the drain.

Carrie":3i5ncuon said:
Does anyone know if this is a heritable trait?

Carrie:

I would recommend starting a new thread with the above question.

Also, keep the faith. I have had my share of disasters too, it will get better.

I'm sorry about your cow and calves.

We had the same thing happen to us, both calves came backwards, both dead--but my husband managed to get the old girl up and we went to the sale and bought a calf for her. She didn't plan on taking the calf willingly (tried the old standby of rubbing carcass on calf) etc. but after a nice attitude adjustment, she decided to accept the little guy.

Latest posts