maine anjou

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross breeder #1

Reaction score
I am interested in buying 4 show type maine anjou bred heifers this fall to breed to my plain bulls and get show steers from these cows. does anyone know who/where i could get some heifers like this from I could drive most anywhere in missouri, iowa or illinois but not much farther than that

this sort of reminds me of my mothers wishes for me.....

plain looking burly hard working boy....strong, moderate intelligence if he would use it.....
needs guidance from an articulate and cultured young lady of breeding and means.....

that sales approach didn't work out so well either.....

Most of the cows used for show calves are Main (Cunia) / Angus or Simi (Meyer 734) /Angus bred to Club Calf bulls, you will get county fair type calves by breeding Main cows to plainer made bulls, you might be better off picking your best cows and AIing them to Club Calf bulls.
If you do go the Main cow rout or breed to Clubby just make sure the bulls are PHA and TH clean or you will need to test the heifers if you retain them.

VCC":2hwco02b said:
Most of the cows used for show calves are Main (Cunia) / Angus or Simi (Meyer 734) /Angus bred to Club Calf bulls, you will get county fair type calves by breeding Main cows to plainer made bulls, you might be better off picking your best cows and AIing them to Club Calf bulls.
If you do go the Main cow rout or breed to Clubby just make sure the bulls are PHA and TH clean or you will need to test the heifers if you retain them.
as i have said before i dont do AI but im going to try and learn next year but until then having fancy cows bred to avg bulls is my best option

Why not just buy a better bull? Seems like a cheaper option!

Thanks for the good laugh PDF Angus, that was a great come back. :lol:

Check with Mike Holden near Scranton, IA. His cows are very functional and even though he doesn't breed for the show ring he weans some pretty fancy heifers every fall.

UG":2gk1n65m said:
Check with Mike Holden near Scranton, IA. His cows are very functional and even though he doesn't breed for the show ring he weans some pretty fancy heifers every fall.
I may end up buying from him, is he a member of these boards?

Latest posts