Magnificent Wildlife

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
The King Cobra is a magnificent serpent. They have been documented to 18 1/2 feet in length. Have been documented to weigh up to 26 pounds. Venom is potent enough to kill an elephant.

2b64uv.jpg

Commercialfarmer":gnk7c9fd said:
TennesseeTuxedo":gnk7c9fd said:
That's one brave fella right there.

Brave isn't the adjective I would have chosen to describe him. I can think of several that might be more applicable TT.

Got that right only way that boy gets picked up is after his head is surgically removed with a load of #6's out of a 16 gauge.

I didn't realize you had a dark complexion during puberty. Nice picture Margo......obviously not a selfie. Who was the photographer?
:)

Ouachita":27o1s6vj said:
I didn't realize you had a dark complexion during puberty. Nice picture Margo......obviously not a selfie. Who was the photographer?

That is Inyati.

TennesseeTuxedo":4ff0ua6j said:
Nesikep":4ff0ua6j said:
18 1/2 feet and only 26 lbs.. seems on the light side for a snake that size

I concur, surely he meant 126 pounds perhaps?

26 pounds was based on a 15 foot cobra which is the length for a VERY large adult male. The average length is more like 12 feet.

Serpents have a very long tubular lung. They are lighter than they look.

At 15 feet and 25 pounds, that comes to 1.7 pounds per foot. Takes a huge snake to make those numbers.

The heaviest wild specimen was caught at Royal Island Club in Singapore in 1951, which weighed 12 kg (26 lb) and measured 4.8 m (15.7 ft)

I guess they do float pretty good.. just always thought a snake like that would weigh a lot more. I've never been around any very large snakes.

Reminds of of the movie Ssssssss with Strother Martin. I saw it at the drive in when I was in high school 40 years ago. Strother plays a mad scientist that injects cobra venom in increasing increments into his daughter's unsuspecting boyfriend ostensibly for the boyfriend to build up immunity to cobra venom, but the boyfriend turns into a reptile with some pretty horrific results.

:hat:
TennesseeTuxedo":w6m4pmq3 said:
Nesikep":w6m4pmq3 said:
I guess they do float pretty good.. just always thought a snake like that would weigh a lot more. I've never been around any very large snakes.

Snakes in the constrictor family are indeed much heavier.

The Anaconda holds record for weight. Reticulated Python holds length record.

Margonme":34hzsp9n said:
Ouachita":34hzsp9n said:

That is Inyati.
There are not a surplus of folks who have spent on such an interesting and diverse life........and still have change to spare. You are one. I enjoy you sharing one man's history, to include those peripheral people that you've met and shared alike.

Latest posts