magnets

Help Support CattleToday:

mdmdogs3

Reaction score
well - something new again today - on another thread
you actually put magnets down a cow

now I can see why you would do it - hardware disease (by the way I love that term :lol: )

I'm just amazed - thought the cow was just stuck with the nails once it ate them

learned something today and the day isn't over yet

Yep, they are stuck with the nails or whatever. The magnets just keeps them from tearing up the stomach lining ( hopefully )
They stay there and don't normally come out.

mdmdogs3,

Another lesson you can take from that other thread is don't listen to everything you read. Even though some people do bolus cows with magnets, they don't pick up all the nails and wire and come out the other end. So don't go spending a lot of time sifting through manure looking for the "used" magnet.

I thought that was an interesting tip as well! Alot of neat info on this great board! :)

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1d7en7ec said:
Does bull red want me to send her poop off to a lab and have it analyzed as actually being from her? HAHAHAHAHHAHA

As much BS as you spread around this forum I'd think you have more than enough expertise to do the analysis yourself.

Dr Horace Thornton showed some slides of magnets recovered from slaughtered cattleand the wire, nails etc collected. I had the impression that once the magetic bolus is in the reticulum, it won't work out, I need to re read the notes from the lecture, as it was 1978 so not really fresh in my memory!

Magnet recovery....
80966c99.jpg

And i thought I was cheap. I normally just bite the bullet and buy a new one. :lol: Course Susiedavids method will work also. :lol:

mdmdogs3":2wlmxc66 said:
next question -
how do you know when to give a magnet appetizer?

To the best of my knowledge there is no set time to give them magnets....its just a preventative measure.

Saltydawg":3fbi2900 said:
mdmdogs3":3fbi2900 said:
next question -
how do you know when to give a magnet appetizer?

To the best of my knowledge there is no set time to give them magnets....its just a preventative measure.

mdmdog3,

Do a search on "hardware disease". Unfortunately cattle will eat almost anything at times, especially calves. Putting the magnet in will retain the metal in one area, so it will not constantly be moving through possibly cutting up the insides of the cow. Not something that I would do unless I thought that one had a problem. You definitely wouldn't want to administer a magnet once a year or on a schedule, they'll just pile up in the cow.

Hey instant weight gainers for calves. The day before you bring em to the barn drop in 20 or 30 magnets. I swear the devil himself gives people these kind of thoughts; just have to ignore em and ask if I would like to have bought a calf with 20 magnets in her.

I don't think I said to keep putting magnets in the cow lol.

I don't use them in my cows but I know several farmers in the area who do...mostly dairy.

edit: Put one in your cows belly and it helps prevent metals from jostling around and causing extra damage...one magnet is all a cow would ever need.

Magnets were pretty much SOP in areas that the hay is put up with wire rather then twine or harvested feeds were fed. Range cows didn;t get them, just the ones that were regularly on hay and/or grain.
I was alwasy amazed when I'ld pop a cow open and see the stuff that was attached. The good quality stainless magnets will last severl (cow) life times and we
l'ld just clean an old one and pop it into another cow.

dun

Whether you routinely administer magnets depends on your farm. If there is a lot of old fencing, broken pieces, dump site, etc, than routinely putting one in each replacement female is advisable. But, on the other hand, if you place is free of small metal objects (nails, screws, etc like at a new building site) you would probably only use them if you were suspect of hardware.
You can tell if a cow has a magnet using a compass. Just pass the magnet by the cows stomach & see if the needle responds to the cow.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":137u54x0 said:
Pretty expensive way to add weight - rocks would be much better :shock: :D

So I'm not the only one that has an evil streak?

Seriously I would never do anything like that; I go by my dad's advice, reputation is all you have when you get older so take care of it.

Latest posts