Mad Cow Disease

Help Support CattleToday:

Daisy452

Reaction score
How many of you know what Mad Cow Disesas is and what causes it? This is a poll to see how many know what it is. If you know reply and say yes and tell me what it is and what causes it. Thank you.

I doubt you will find one Canadian cattle producer that does not have a deep understanding of the disease, its reported cause factors and the ramifications of this disease.

All you have to do is hit the search button at the top of the page.

Bez>

it is a disease we should all know. how many cases of BSE have been found in beef cattle?

too many but atleast we are finding them disposing of them, and changing the feed regualtions. Something common sense should have taken precedence over a long time ago.

I am sorry but what and who does not know BSE, even my city slicker 5 year old nephew knows that it has devistated the beef and especially dairy industry.The fact that dumb dumbs even have to ask makes me want to scream.......I guess only Canadians know as we are infected with it :roll: maybe if ya tested for it ya would find it.

hillsdown":1b0nqkwt said:
I am sorry but what and who does not know BSE, even my city slicker 5 year old nephew knows that it has devistated the beef and especially dairy industry.The fact that dumb dumbs even have to ask makes me want to scream.......I guess only Canadians know as we are infected with it :roll: maybe if ya tested for it ya would find it.

I know what BSE i was asking and seeing if people knew what it is. Because Ive been finding that people are feeding cattle wrong feeds that will casue this.

Just had to write an essay on BSE. Took forever but Daisy if you want to give it a read I think you'll like it. I learned a lot. ^_^

Now here is the question - what causes BSE - is it feeds? Perhaps but the interesting thing about BSE is that statistically speaking 1 out of each 1 million cows should be born with BSE. Almost like a birth defect.
So it could be a copper deficiency, it could be caused by sonic booms, it could be caused by "tainted" feed but if you changed all of these things you would still have BSE. This is why it is a really bad idea to get the public pumped up on the idea that BSE in cows is overly dangerous.

cowgirl Ibara":v1z4cir7 said:
Just had to write an essay on BSE. Took forever but Daisy if you want to give it a read I think you'll like it. I learned a lot. ^_^

Sure send it too me, and remind me to give you my powerpoint of the Avian Flu.

I was lead to believe that if an animal ingested other infected brain matter that was in the feed that they would get BSE. I have also heard - not that I know if I believe it - but wild elk have been known to carry the disease, so you cannot give blood if you have eaten wild elk?

I know that if my cows are eating what they should - hay, grass, and minerals, that most likely I will never have a case of BSE.

UCFLonghorn":ydrl5n4t said:
I was lead to believe that if an animal ingested other infected brain matter that was in the feed that they would get BSE.

The operative word is "may" not "would".
A big part of the problem is an animal can be infected without it having shown any signs of it. That's the reason feeding any cattle parts to cattle is forbidden.

UCFLonghorn":ncxd1h2f said:
I was lead to believe that if an animal ingested other infected brain matter that was in the feed that they would get BSE. I have also heard - not that I know if I believe it - but wild elk have been known to carry the disease, so you cannot give blood if you have eaten wild elk?

I know that if my cows are eating what they should - hay, grass, and minerals, that most likely I will never have a case of BSE.

That is - at this point in time the theory.

In absolute truth - not one person or scientist can actually and definitively state with complete surety - what causes BSE.

Lots of theory and some of it may prove out - but no conclusive proof. Yet.

Bez>

UCFLonghorn":2az3uuyj said:
I have also heard - not that I know if I believe it - but wild elk have been known to carry the disease, so you cannot give blood if you have eaten wild elk?

I don't know about the donating blood aspect but, as I understand it, wild elk don't get BSE. They can and do, however, contract Chronic Wasting Disease which, while it manifests the same type of symptoms, is a different disease.

Latest posts