Lumpy Jaw

Help Support CattleToday:

vjj

Reaction score
I have a Red Angus bull who is 4 years old. He has a swelling in his jaw that is firm, he drools, and chews with difficulty. The vet diagnosed that he has a case of lumpy jaw. I have never heard of this. He has not lost weight yet, but the vet informed me it was hard to treat and prognosis was not good. He has been separated from my other cows and my concern is, is this contagious? I planned on putting my other cows in that area to feed thro the winter. Any info would be appreciated.

I am pretty sure Lumpy Jaw isn't contagious. I am not sure about the treatment but i think it is caused most of the time by something getting stuck in there mouth. Sound like you should have asked the Vet more questions.

As a farmer who has treated this, or lets clear that up, our vet has treated this, it is hard to treat.
We have had one of 7 recover fully.
treatment usually involves intervenous iodine treatments atleast 2x plus LA200 and an anti inflam, and dilligence. Treatment is only successful it it has not swollen and honey combed the bone. When you have it in the head gate, grab both sides of the jaw and feel the difference in the bone. If it has not reached bones stage then you might be lucky. But in all honesty, best to get rid of. doubtfull if you can send it to the sale barn if it has broken open. You will have to wait until the wound heals up and all withdrawl is past. Same goes with rail grade.
Lumpy jaw is atributed to lack of iodine. We have to add iodine to the mineral every once in a while. It has stopped it from spreading to other cows. Which brings me to my next point
Lumpy jaw is contaigious sort of. If the lump has not broken open it is not contaigious. If it has however, yes it is. It is contaigious because the bacteria can now enter another cows mouth and infect her if the second cow has a sore. How is it transmitted, by the saliva and puss coming out of the sore. If there is a sore in her mouth, same thing. What happens is the cow with lumpy jaw will ooze the stuff out on to the pasture, hay, around the water trough, and in the mineral feeder or salt. Now you have the potential for cross contamination. If an animal who is healthy happens to have a sore in the mouth from a puncture and grazes or eats from where the bacteria has been deposited the bacteria enters the wound and you now have another case. A cow can puncture her mouth in many ways. As simple as a barley awn, rough hay, rough grass trees, and even when they loses a tooth.
This is how we ended up with 7 cases. The trick is to catch the swelling early when they puncture the mouth and develope swelling. Once it enters the bone, not a chance in hades

Some links might have to copy and paste
http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/health/3566.html
http://merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp ... umpy%2cjaw
ttp://merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp? ... umpy%2cjaw scroll down for a pic of the honey combed bone

i was looking for a real good pic of the bone with no tissue on it to show what happens to the bone. Could not find the web site with the good pic...sorry

Thanks for all your advise. I feel better about my decision.

It is treatable. Four or five years ago I had a cow that had lump jaw. She was about 4 months pregnant at the time. We took her to the LSU Vet School for treatment. I think she stayed there for about a week. If I recall, it costs about $350. Not cheap, but well worth it. She came home and never missed a beat. She calved on time, and has had a calf every year since.

We had a cow a few years back with all the lumpy jaw symptoms. Kept her full of penn for a month or so and it finally went away. She's still with us.

I had a cow with it last year.. she survived fine. Took her to A & M for two treatments, 10 days apart.

It's not caused by a iodine deficiency.. it's caused by a bacteria that gets into a sore in their mouth. It is easier treated if you catch it quickly.

Latest posts