Bottle jaw

Help Support CattleToday:

Dabb

Reaction score
I have a 20 month old heifer that is 3 months pregnant. She developed bottle jaw and the vet came out Saturday. She's lost a little weight, but we've been in a drought and I attributed the weight loss to that. No diarrhea, no loss in appetite. Vet wormed her even though fecal came back negative twice. She got a magnet and bolus. Vet did blood work for Johnes. I'm scared to death it's Johnes.

Welcome to CT!

20 months is pretty young for symptoms of Johnes. The following thread may be of interest. Good call having the vet out & especially the magnet. Did the vet thoroughly inspect her mouth?

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=120058

Thank you for the welcome! Yes, she did. I'm very fortunate to have an excellent vet. She went from head-to-toe. We've had a drought here in southern Kentucky and I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it. My next question is, how do I supplement her crappy hay we have because of the drought? She does get grain; 3 lbs a day, plus goodies from the garden. There's not much grass, it's just coming back after some rain last week.

Dabb said:
Thank you for the welcome! Yes, she did. I'm very fortunate to have an excellent vet. She went from head-to-toe. We've had a drought here in southern Kentucky and I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it. My next question is, how do I supplement her crappy hay we have because of the drought? She does get grain; 3 lbs a day, plus goodies from the garden. There's not much grass, it's just coming back after some rain last week.

Forage varies depending on region and forage management practices. I have better forage than my neighbor does and we share a fenceline. It is also a function of stocking level.

There is a difference between "grain" and "feed". It is a subtle difference but it is a difference. Feed is formulated with other compounds than just grain for example just corn. Feed may contain probiotics and vitamins as part of the total formulation. If your hay is bad, I personally don't like tubs. I would go to a good farm supply and talk to their nutritionist and find a good "feed", not just a grain.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. She's on feed. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about hay. We are going to lime and fertilize for next year . We had too much broomsage this year and have to eradicate it or try to.

Bright Raven said:
I would go to a good farm supply and talk to their nutritionist and find a good "feed", not just a grain.
there ain't nothing like that around here. i wished there was a bonafide nutritionist i could talk to when buying feed.

nutrition needs - while it changes depending on weather, condition of pasture, pregnant, lactating, growing heifers, bulls, or raising steers is something i don't have a good handle on. someone on here once said "it ain't rocket science", but still not sure what to feed sometime. but we get by alright i guess.

Looking at your cattle's manure is the best way to decide what they need - at least lets you know if they need more or less protein. ALL cattle need a good mineral program & health/vaccination program. After that, it's mostly balancing protein and carbs (meat & potatoes!) - for a very basic feed program.
Really glad you have a good vet to work with you. Stick with it. Hope heifer turns around for you. "Most" vets aren't very good about nutrition, but yours may be able to help you.

ccr said:
Bright Raven said:
I would go to a good farm supply and talk to their nutritionist and find a good "feed", not just a grain.
there ain't nothing like that around here. i wished there was a bonafide nutritionist i could talk to when buying feed.

nutrition needs - while it changes depending on weather, condition of pasture, pregnant, lactating, growing heifers, bulls, or raising steers is something i don't have a good handle on. someone on here once said "it ain't rocket science", but still not sure what to feed sometime. but we get by alright i guess.

Southern States has a very knowledgeable nutritionist. David Gray. He has helped me. Nutrition is not very exciting so it helps me to have someone who can do the heavy lifting.

Cattle nutrition can be tricky if you are not versed in the ingredients. I have learned a lot since I started talking to David Gray.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Looking at your cattle's manure is the best way to decide what they need - at least lets you know if they need more or less protein. ALL cattle need a good mineral program & health/vaccination program. After that, it's mostly balancing protein and carbs (meat & potatoes!) - for a very basic feed program.
Really glad you have a good vet to work with you. Stick with it. Hope heifer turns around for you. "Most" vets aren't very good about nutrition, but yours may be able to help you.

She's very good. She and her husband raise cattle. Good news! Labs came back negative for Johnes!
Cow seems to be coming around. The swelling from the bottle jaw is almost gone. I called the vet and told her her magic worked, lol.

Latest posts