lump jaw??

Help Support CattleToday:

Classic case of woody tongue. At this point, she is pretty far into it. Phone vet pronto and tell him to bring out a bottle of sodium iodide to do an IV on her. Also get yourself a few bales of soft grass hay to feed her. Also going to need a bottle of LA Oxytetracycline for her as well. You should be able to save her.

There are several things that can cause that type of swelling. "Lumpy jaw" tends to be a harder or firmer swelling along the jaw bone. "Bottle jaw" is softer and may be floppy swelling of the tissue beneath the jaw. When was she last wormed and with what??

The causes of that type of swelling could be anything from a foreign object embedded in her mouth and caused infection, to heart failure. She needs an examination of her mouth. The hair loss is likely lice.

talked to the vet over the phone and he thinks its bottle jaw since swelling is floppy and its losing weight. told me to give it la 200 and worm it real good and keep it to itself for a while. last i wormed was last fall with safeguard pellets.

Ive dealt with lump jaw and that doesn't look like lump jaw to me. Thats all ican honestly say about it.

I would bet she might have hardware. Watch and see if her brisket grows. I would try exceed or excenel on her if you really want to do some good, but there's a decent chance you wont be able to turn her around.

dose of wormer, dose of la 200.
the next day she had looked a little better, jaw was a little smaller.
the day after that it was bigger. and now still about like it was. the lump is not hard, almost like jello.

We had a cow that had a jaw that looked like that (thread is on here), but she looked better weight wise. Vet gave her IV sodium iodide, if I remember correctly. Her swelling went away and she was back to normal just a few days later, no swelling.

I agree with waco and FS. Unless you want this cow to just painfully wither away, you need to be aggressive in her treatment now.
One dose of LA 200 is not going to be enough if it is some kind of infection in there.

Certainly looks like 'bottle jaw'.
You've dewormed her - and in her case, it probably doesn't matter what you used, so long as you gave enough. Now she needs some serious groceries.
I've not had hands on her, but nothing I see would suggest a need for antibiotics.

That fluid accumulation is due to - in most cases - low blood plasma albumin(protein); when it's low, fluid 'leaks' out of blood vessels into the tissues, and since she's got her head down grazing, it gravitates to the lowest point - under her jaw.
It's possible that she's got a liver or kidney problem causing the wasting, hypoproteinemia and edema - but most commonly it's an issue of inadequate dietary protein and/or parasitism.
You can feed your way through a worm problem...but you can't deworm your way out of a feed deficiency.

as of this morning she looks a lot better, jaw is half the size it was, looks to be gaining a little weight back. keeping all the hay she wants and feeding her 14% grain to go along with her grazing.
have had her in a seprate lot to her self for the last week.

Latest posts