lump jaw

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
noticed one of my heifers jaw was swelling up, had one like this few yrs back. i was gonna let it get alittle bigger, so today i got it in the head catch and was gonna give it a dose of la 200 and lance and rinse out with iodine, but unlike the other cow this ones lump is hard and doesnt move freely. from what i read this type is pretty much uncurable and either have to sell or butcher her, is this correct. if i decided to sell her would she bring anything?

I have seen them with the lump in the lower jaw, just like this one.
I have also seen them with a large swelling in the upper jaw, kind of a nasal thing. Is this also lump jaw, or something else?

Supa Dexta":2ntde0io said:
http://www.beefmagazine.com/health/0401-bony-lump-jaw

I discussed this with an old cattle man - - and he said having the vet lance and flush is a waste of time.
Any experience with treating this?

About 3 go rounds with LA and a couple big spoonsful of organic iodine powder in her mouth when you give her the shots. You may have to repeat in a month. We have gotten a couple more years out of a few cows with this treatment

Lump jaw is absolutely curable if you catch it in time. My vet used an IV of sodium iodide on this girl (#27) in 2011 and she's now almost 11, doing great. BTW there is discussion whether sodium iodide can cause an abortion if the cow is bred but I've had that procedure performed twice (one with woody tongue), both cows were bred & both carried full term, healthy calves.

TCRanch":3in2phdw said:
Lump jaw is absolutely curable if you catch it in time. My vet used an IV of sodium iodide on this girl (#27) in 2011 and she's now almost 11, doing great. BTW there is discussion whether sodium iodide can cause an abortion if the cow is bred but I've had that procedure performed twice (one with woody tongue), both cows were bred & both carried full term, healthy calves.

That is interesting about the sodium iodide on bred cows.

gcreekrch":17o3yt03 said:
TCRanch":17o3yt03 said:

That is interesting about the sodium iodide on bred cows.
My vet always says anything is possible but believes it is safe and the article supports that. However, the article also indicates treatment generally consists of 2 - 3 iodide procedures and antibiotics, which was not the case with either of my girls: one-n-done, we're out! But most likely because I caught them early.

i did not give her any shots, i think she is to far along, so i will put her in the freezer. is everyone sure she is ok to eat? also i guess i need get her killed asap?

scf84":32usvtbd said:
i did not give her any shots, i think she is to far along, so i will put her in the freezer. is everyone sure she is ok to eat? also i guess i need get her killed asap?

She will be fine to eat. Sooner is better if that is your decision.

Interesting. Never had one that bad, but the couple I have had just opened up and drained on their own - no intervention necessary. No antibiotics or Iodine. Just lucky?

angus9259":14h25vij said:
Interesting. Never had one that bad, but the couple I have had just opened up and drained on their own - no intervention necessary. No antibiotics or Iodine. Just lucky?

I would say it was just an abscess and not the bone infection that is lump jaw.

Dusty Britches":3b78aeu7 said:
For an accurate dx, you need to culture the pus. The treatment options are very different. In one type, you can lance it and shoot 7% iodine into the pocket a few days. The other type involves sodium iodine via I.V. It has a low success rate, but can work. Sodium iodine will cause cows to abort.

http://www.angusbeefbulletin.com/extra/ ... nofMq6nGUk
Not in my world. Total success, no abortions.

Latest posts