Lumber

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed lumber prices how much they have went up in the last 2 months. I buy lumber for jobs for people and noticed prices seem to have went up an avg of 1.30 per piece.

skyhightree1":3fs2twvm said:
Nesikep":3fs2twvm said:
Probably because of tariffs :hide:

:lol: :lol:

M-5":3fs2twvm said:
its because of demand , freight and fuel.

I bought regular 2x4x8 studs last year this time for 1.97 each now they are 3.71 each with my contractor discount

I was selling a sq of shingles last year at 62.00 with 12% margin today they are 75.00 with 7-8% margin .

It the product of a booming economy and a too many jobs available.

greybeard":raqxln1k said:
"That was then..this is now"

It's dem dang lumberjacks I bet...buying those flannel shirts ain't cheap. :) :hide:

:lol:

M-5":raqxln1k said:
skyhightree1":raqxln1k said:
Nesikep":raqxln1k said:
Probably because of tariffs :hide:

:lol: :lol:

M-5":raqxln1k said:
its because of demand , freight and fuel.

I bought regular 2x4x8 studs last year this time for 1.97 each now they are 3.71 each with my contractor discount

I was selling a sq of shingles last year at 62.00 with 12% margin today they are 75.00 with 7-8% margin .

It the product of a booming economy and a too many jobs available.

good point... I use rough sawn lumber for my projects mostly unless i got left over lumber from jobs. The jobs you do for folks they want to see the really pretty lumber from big box stores.

our house was made of used lumber in 1935, our shop is built from the curling rink that burnt down in 1995...
I just hate working with twisted wood!

Nesikep":2kwjbvpo said:
our house was made of used lumber in 1935, our shop is built from the curling rink that burnt down in 1995...
Do you ever have an unexplained and sudden urge to just pick up a broom & start sweeping......?

greybeard":19cf688c said:
Nesikep":19cf688c said:
Do you ever have an unexplained and sudden urge to just pick up a broom & start sweeping......?
very fleeting moments!

sstterry":19cf688c said:
Nesikep":19cf688c said:
shop is built from the curling rink that burnt down in 1995...

That is something us folks in the South would never say.... :lol:
Just like us northerners would never say "Uncle dad" :p

Sky.…… yes, we too have noticed the increased cost of lumber.

For our own, occasional, projects, we've used the "rough-cut", purchased from a local guy. We'd bought from him for years. Unfortunately, he had a freak accident and was found dead. His 'kids' haven't really kept the business going. Finding guys like him, are like finding hen's teeth.

Nesikep":3lbvtwmz said:
greybeard":3lbvtwmz said:
very fleeting moments!

sstterry":3lbvtwmz said:
shop is built from the curling rink that burnt down in 1995...

That is something us folks in the South would never say.... :lol:
Just like us northerners would never say "Uncle dad" :p
That is only in Alabama! :banana:

I buy a lot of lumber. It's up anywhere from 25-40% here depending on what you are after.

For instance a 6x6x16 treated post. A year ago I could buy it for $32. Today it costs me $59.

The landowner ain't making the extra. And the builders supply ain't making much of the extra. The sawmills are knocking it down. And I mean knocking it down.

If the sawmill 2 miles from me is any indication, there can't be much of a shortage of 2Xs in my own area. Their yard is absolutely full, stacked high and tight of finished lumber and the log yard is stacked high too. Mostly yellow pine but some piles of hardwood logs are in there too.

well the loggers arent getting rich. the log prices have been low for the last 10 years havent went up at all, im only getting $150 a thousand for yellow pine which makes great 2x4's. its so stupid we dont use yellow pine and instead import spruce from canada

MtnCows93":jacmj7ll said:
well the loggers arent getting rich. the log prices have been low for the last 10 years havent went up at all, im only getting $150 a thousand for yellow pine which makes great 2x4's. its so stupid we dont use yellow pine and instead import spruce from canada

You import SPF. Spruce pine fir. And the Canadian loggers are broke. What's the solution?

A lot of framers refuse to build with yellow pine because it's harder to nail, but I only see amigos framing now a days so who knows what they are saying( viva trump!!!!)

Latest posts