Lucky save!

Help Support CattleToday:

Putangitangi

Reaction score
Feed is still a bit tight, so I leave my cows grazing the hill paddocks for as long as I can before bringing them onto the flat calving paddocks. Sometimes I miss one. Fortunately I got there for a check at just the right time.

One near-term cow wasn't with the others, so we tracked some prints heading up into the back of the paddock. As soon as I saw her and her quick-turn movement, I knew things weren't as they ought to be: she'd already calved and was looking unhappy! I naturally assumed all was lost and that we'd be finding a dead newborn which had slid into the gully, but it was not so.

Img_7371a.jpg
My partner spotted a movement...
Img_7380a.jpg
... then carried the calf out to safety...
Img_7391a.jpg
... and she took a much-needed drink. She knew what to do, so I think she'd had her colostrum feed before she fell down the hole.

The calf has mostly pink-lidded eyes, so I'm not sure if she'll stay or not - it'll depend on her temperament and growth. She has a white left lower leg and a couple of white feet. Her sire's black Angus and her mother is 75%. I'm not sure why the white leg has appeared.

She'd have calved up on the slope and I figure the calf had a drink, but then probably skipped/slipped down and ended up at the bottom, as far down as she could go. This morning she's skipping around in the sunshine on the flats, lively as anything, so no harm done. This is the cow's seventh calf: she should have known better!

Looks like a wild ride for a pup.
I bet she was some kinda happy to get back to flat ground and momma. :lol:

Happy ending !!! Glad the calf is OK :D

I had a Hereford calve at the edge of the slough once and the calf was literally born in the water , managed to same him but he did have brain damage . :roll:

Latest posts