Lucalyse to abort and rebreed

Help Support CattleToday:

cattleman19

Reaction score
I have a Jersey cow that came in heat and got bred today to the Holstein bull. I wanted to AI to a Jersey bull. I am going to give her a shot of Lucalyse to abort. How many days should I wait to give the shot, and when should I watch to see when she comes in heat, to AI her?

I'm not an expert,but I was always told under 10days and you protect the pregnancy not abort it. I'm going to wean calves this wk and will probably wait 3wks to lut the hfrs.

SBMF 2015 said:
I'm not an expert,but I was always told under 10days and you protect the pregnancy not abort it. I'm going to wean calves this wk and will probably wait 3wks to lut the hfrs.

Got my bulls pulled a little later this year but still a good 5 weeks prior to weaning. And absolutely, all heifers are getting a shot when I wean.

It will never work if it's been less than 5 days. 7 days is usually enough. Anything after that is fine. What works best is giving them 2 doses 12-24 hours apart. They'll show heat pretty reliably three days after the first shot.

TCRanch said:
Generally a couple weeks. Lute is 93% effective up to 90 days.

We've given Lute to heifers at weaning for years with the desired results. Last year I sold some heifers to a friend. We were out of Lute so we took the heifers by the vets' office before delivering them for a quick shot of Lute.

One of those heifers was the 7%. She had a nice calf and both are doing well despite being a teenage mother. :D

Buck Randall said:
It will never work if it's been less than 5 days. 7 days is usually enough. Anything after that is fine. What works best is giving them 2 doses 12-24 hours apart. They'll show heat pretty reliably three days after the first shot.

Are you using full doses both times? I am not an A I guy, but I'm trying to learn.

Texas G@l said:
TCRanch said:
Generally a couple weeks. Lute is 93% effective up to 90 days.

We've given Lute to heifers at weaning for years with the desired results. Last year I sold some heifers to a friend. We were out of Lute so we took the heifers by the vets' office before delivering them for a quick shot of Lute.

One of those heifers was the 7%. She had a nice calf and both are doing well despite being a teenage mother. :D

Welcome to the club! Except not only did the Lute not take, my vet missed her pregnancy when he preg checked & pelvic measured her. He's human, it happens, he was mortified. Hard pull but a healthy mama & calf.

SBMF 2015 said:
Buck Randall said:

Are you using full doses both times? I am not an A I guy, but I'm trying to learn.

Yes. One dose generally works, but with two you can be sure and it tightens up the window in which they'll show heat. You cut down on the number of cows showing up late, 4-5 days after the shot.

OK. Will give her a shot 10 days after she was bred. She is in with the herd of milkers with a Holstein bull, so I'm trying to catch her before she comes into heat, so I can AI. Anyone know when she should come in to heat? She was in heat Sept 13, so I'll give her Lute on the 23rd. Not sure if she got bred, as I separated her when I saw her in heat, but bull was trying to ride her.

Need to get her separated from the bull. If she was not in heat and not bred on the 13th, she could be coming in heat any time. Then the clock starts again. Best to separate from the bull, wait the 10 days and then give the lute to be certain. Are you certain she was in heat on the 13th? Standing to be mounted? If she is bred, the lute should cause her to abort and the clock restarts. If she is not bred, the lute should cause her to come into heat most likely in 3-4 days. Official time is 1 to 5 days.
Recommend a 1.5" needle for the lute if she is fat.

cattleman19 said:
OK. Will give her a shot 10 days after she was bred. She is in with the herd of milkers with a Holstein bull, so I'm trying to catch her before she comes into heat, so I can AI. Anyone know when she should come in to heat? She was in heat Sept 13, so I'll give her Lute on the 23rd. Not sure if she got bred, as I separated her when I saw her in heat, but bull was trying to ride her.

If you Lute on the 23rd, she should be in heat on the 26th, give or take a day.

If you really want to be sure, give 20cc of Dexamethasone when you give the Lut. Bull repeatedly went through a water gap last summer and got into my heifers. Drove me crazy, I could not figure how he managed it. Finally got lucky and saw him. Single strand of electric fence put a stop to his roaming. Regardless, my vet told me to add the Dex to make sure.

Last year I had a heifer abort, go into heat, half a dozen 10-12 months old bulls got her. I synced her a week later, with lutalyse and she took AI.

Latest posts