Lowline Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I recently got a yearling Lowline bull. We plan on crossing him to our Red Brangus heifers and raising the calves for grass-fed beef. I was wondering if ya'll could give me your opinion on his conformation. He's a fullblood Lowline by Doc Holliday. I plan on showing him at Houston in March :)
2012-01-22_17-16-58_341.jpg

Thanks!

I have never seen a topline like his and the rear legs, don't show this bull. Don't let him breed anything. Sorry, just my opinion.
CSM

That photo is very unflattering! Try again. Get down on your knees so you aren't shooting over top of him. Wait til he squares himself up and stands better, his back legs are in a weird position in that shot his whole posture looks off. Get a little more forward, at his shoulder. I still don't think he is gonna get rave reviews here, but at least give him a chance.

You probably need to shave him as well so we can see what he looks like :D . I've got no idea about lowline but he looks fine and I hope he does well for you.

MO_cows":1dr39z32 said:
That photo is very unflattering! Try again. Get down on your knees so you aren't shooting over top of him. Wait til he squares himself up and stands better, his back legs are in a weird position in that shot his whole posture looks off. Get a little more forward, at his shoulder. I still don't think he is gonna get rave reviews here, but at least give him a chance.
Ditto!
Get him out of the mud too and maybe give us a rear view maybe.
I think the hair is sitting funny over his back just along from his shoulder which makes his topline look funny more so then actually having a problem.
Just my :2cents:

Ok, I'll try and get a better picture of him today. This was just a quick photo I took on my phone. I see now that his hair is lying wierd on his back, he does have a good straight topline, his hair is just making it look weird.

What is his actual age? I see that he has a nose ring.

You might want to get his feet trimmed. Don't wait until just before the show.

I don't know if you have any experience showing cattle. Be sure to read the show rules and get busy fitting him now. You do not have much time to get him and his hair in shape for the show.

You have 5 weeks until you move in.

Good luck!

ETA: he looks like he has his father's back in the pic. A little sway backed.

CSM":241p5gri said:
I have never seen a topline like his and the rear legs, don't show this bull. Don't let him breed anything. Sorry, just my opinion.
CSM

CSM -- I think this is the same young bull that SassytheBrangus posted a pic of a few days ago, that was rubbing off a big patch of hair on his back.

Ok, I here are some better pictures.

2012-01-26_17-34-25_840.jpg

2012-01-26_17-22-34_260.jpg

Kathy- Yes this is the same bull.

Chippie- He will be 12 mos. on the 31st. He is going to get his feet done next week. Yes I do have experience showing, but this is my first hair breed (I've only ever shown Brangus), I'm working on getting his weight up, and he's getting rinsed and blown out almost everyday. Should I start clipping him this early? I've always clipped about 10 days before the show, but yet again I've only ever shown Brangus.

I think he may need a step ladder to get to your heifers!
He looks a good young bull. Strong on top and well put together. He stands square from behind, its hard to see his feet but they dont look too bad.
I think he would do well in an lowline class in Australia.

SassytheBrangus":wunq4vuk said:
Ok, I here are some better pictures.

2012-01-26_17-34-25_840.jpg

2012-01-26_17-22-34_260.jpg

Kathy- Yes this is the same bull.

Chippie- He will be 12 mos. on the 31st. He is going to get his feet done next week. Yes I do have experience showing, but this is my first hair breed (I've only ever shown Brangus), I'm working on getting his weight up, and he's getting rinsed and blown out almost everyday. Should I start clipping him this early? I've always clipped about 10 days before the show, but yet again I've only ever shown Brangus.

It's KATHIE, Sassy. That's just a thing with me . . . . :) Good luck at your show!

When we showed hair breeds, the cattle were clipped a several of days before the show and touched up the morning or day before the show. To be honest, clipping a hair breed is an art. For the major shows a fitter (friend and advisor) clipped my kid's heifers. A skilled fitter can sculpt the hair to accent the good points and hide the imperfections. It takes a steady hand.

Latest posts