Low waste hay feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Anybody bought or preferably built a low waste hay feeder for horses. I have declared war on hay waste.

Bigfoot":343t6d4j said:
Anybody bought or preferably built a low waste hay feeder for horses. I have declared war on hay waste.
I feed mine in the cradle feeders. Works much better than a ring.

Bigfoot":3sozkfa5 said:
These are posted on every single WA Craigslist. Wood boxes with wire panels on the top? They don't look too complicated, by the pics. And I think on one of the ads, they were actually selling a plan to build. ??

http://www.grazingbox.com/index.htm

slow%20grazer%20ali.JPG

It is for square bales. A person I know got a kit (or instructions how to build your own) and said that it works very well. His horses don't waste the hay and a bale lasts a decent amount of time.

Checked out that web page. Their a little pricey on that wire mesh. Wonder what would work besides that?

Bigfoot, you might check out some of your steel supply places. The stuff looks to me like some of the very small mesh hog wire, but heavier. ?? We have heavy "hog panels" here with mesh that small, but 6 ft. tall and 16 ft. long -- probably not quite (but maybe?) as heavy as shown in the pics. But if a horse jumped in the middle of that feeder as shown . . . . whatever their mesh is wouldn't avoid a wreck.

Latest posts