Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
Well, I did the search and turned up nothing but I'm sure this questions has been asked and answered a hundred times. So please forgive me asking again.

What makes "horse quality hay?" I see this phrase in advertisement all the time and I thought I knew what it meant. But the other day I saw this "horse quality hay" sign on a neighbors fence and now I'm really confused. His hay was just barely fit to feed a starving cow.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your description.

Around here, horse quality is clean fertilized hay (no weeds), not musty, smells sweet and around here it is usually a coastal or coastal hybrid type of hay. Some people believe that labeling hay as horse quality will increase sales and also the price.
One person's idea of horse quality hay may not be the same as another's.

Depends on the horse I reckon.
Horse quality hay should be from a clean field, well limed and fertilized, baled with a low moisture content and relatively high in protein.
One guy around here sells any thing he bales as horse hay as long as it did not rain after he cut it.

Dairy
Horse
Cow/Goat
Mulch/Mushroom/Reclamation

lavacarancher":pz93hp0l said:
Well, I did the search and turned up nothing but I'm sure this questions has been asked and answered a hundred times. So please forgive me asking again.

What makes "horse quality hay?" I see this phrase in advertisement all the time and I thought I knew what it meant. But the other day I saw this "horse quality hay" sign on a neighbors fence and now I'm really confused. His hay was just barely fit to feed a starving cow.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your description.

Horse quality hay is dairy quality hay with about $4.00 a bale added to the cost. ;-)