Low Priced Bulls. Are they worth it?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":1lpr4a2z said:
I think the key here is having a reliable source.

WELL DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Do you ever spend your money with an "Unreliable Source"? ;-)

Alot of people do every day but they don't find out till after the fact :shock: Some sales have to be made and information has to be collected before you can determine a source is unreliable!!!!!!!!

mwj":2g7p6m85 said:
MikeC":2g7p6m85 said:

Alot of people do every day but they don't find out till after the fact :shock: Some sales have to be made and information has to be collected before you can determine a source is unreliable!!!!!!!!

That's preposterous MWJ. We're talking about buying breeding stock here. The cattle business is a small world. It ain't hard to get some information on most any breeder.

Only if you weren't in the cattle business would you NOT know just about everyone who's reliable or not. :roll:

MikeC":nujbj7ha said:
mwj":nujbj7ha said:
MikeC":nujbj7ha said:

That's preposterous MWJ. We're talking about buying breeding stock here. The cattle business is a small world. It ain't hard to get some information on most any breeder.

Only if you weren't in the cattle business would you NOT know just about everyone who's reliable or not. :roll:

I will take the bait. Were you born into the cattle buis. you are in or did you have to establish yourself. How could you be a reliable source of bulls before you sold one. I am not saying people are dumb enough to go back to the same unreliable ones over and over. You have been in the seedstock buis. as long as most so I will ask you the next question. How many NEW seedstock producers will start out in the next 5 years and will they all start out with a reputation established to tell us if they are reliable?

I don't have a hard time judging character and honesty.

Obviously some people do. :roll:

mwj":387zp2ne said:
MikeC":387zp2ne said:
mwj":387zp2ne said:
MikeC":387zp2ne said:

I will take the bait. Were you born into the cattle buis. you are in or did you have to establish yourself. How could you be a reliable source of bulls before you sold one. I am not saying people are dumb enough to go back to the same unreliable ones over and over. You have been in the seedstock buis. as long as most so I will ask you the next question. How many NEW seedstock producers will start out in the next 5 years and will they all start out with a reputation established to tell us if they are reliable?

Reliability and honesty are not the same thing . If you were selling something that turned out to be unreliable after a period of time and you removed the prod. from the mkt. you would be honest and have good character :roll: If you want to make comparisons you have to compare the same thing. Do you think it pos. for someone with a lot of money to buy a bunch of donor cows and flush them to have a production sale in a short period of time without a lot of experiance. It would be hard to even make a guess about them and what there actual knowlege of cattle breeding was. They could hire a sale manager throw together a catalog and advertise to the hilt around the country. I am sure there are a lot of peoople that would look and be interested in some of the offering without the chance to meet or evaluate the owners.

Designer labels cost more when you buy a pair of jeans and they cost more when you buy a bull.

They don't always give you a better end product however.

cfpinz":3p4kpfnq said:
CowpokeJ":3p4kpfnq said:
A whoptooter :p

Yup. Not quite a humdinger but mighty close. :eek:

cfpinz

I have 4 cows that are out of a humdinger, does that make them Whoptooters??? :lol: :lol:

Glengrove Humdinger J21 was his full name I believe.

If you pay $3,000 for a yearling bull at a bull sale where you have no information on him other than what is given (i.e. you didn't see his dam) You are already lagging behind unless the sole purpose of this bull is for a terminal operation.

But back to the point.

$3,000 bull turned out with say 15 cows the first year and 25 cows the next 2 years. That means he's breeding 65 cows. That's $46.15 a cow or equivelent to some dang high priced straws of semen.
$1500 bull turned out with 65 cows over 3 years costs you $23.07 a cow.

Anyways, at current market prices where calves are bringing say $90 cwt. You need an extra 25.6 pounds of calf to make up the difference of $23.08 of bull cost. And this is not giving account to the fact that you WILL lose calves and there will be cows that DO NOT breed. But that can be ignored simply because of the fact that it would happen with both bulls.

My case is point is for a bull that is 3000 to be worth the money he's going to have to add around 30 pounds of calf to make the investment worthwhile.

Not gonna say that I havent spent too much on bulls in the past, but now I spend about $1500 to $1800 on bulls. I think if you gotta spend more than that ,to get a good calf on the ground, you are looking at the problem bassackerds. You need to gets some better cows

Jake":1du988hr said:
My case is point is for a bull that is 3000 to be worth the money he's going to have to add around 30 pounds of calf to make the investment worthwhile.

Assuming he's only going to be around for 3 years that is. If a commercial cattleman isn't keeping his own replacements, there should be no sound reason that a good bull can't give 10 calf crops or more.

And bulls don't lose much value at 4 years old. Assuming market conditions are about the same as when he was purchased, and you didn't overpay for the animal, you're not going to sell him for much less.

Rod

Mister MikeC ta put an answer to yur letter I have ta tell ya no.
Ifen ya got yur herd of cows ta were ya want em why would a feller want ta let a low priced bull have a go at em? Makes no sence atall!

Now ifen yur cows aint as good as yur wanten em then ya got ta use yurself a darn good bull on em ta get yurself a respectable calf crop.

Anyway a feller looks at it yur gonna get further down the trail with bulls that cost ya a bit more then 1500 bucks.

We buy most our bulls fur 2800 ta 4000 never payed lessen 2500 fur a bull in the last 9 years. Now mind ya there was a time a darn good bull put ya out not moren 500! Them were the days a feller could take a lady out fur dinner and a drive on 10 buck and still have money left over for safes!! ;-)

ONLY-BEEF":224l253i said:
Ifen ya got yur herd of cows ta were ya want em why would a feller want ta let a low priced bull have a go at em? Makes no sence atall!

Now ifen yur cows aint as good as yur wanten em then ya got ta use yurself a darn good bull on em ta get yurself a respectable calf crop.

Anyway a feller looks at it yur gonna get further down the trail with bulls that cost ya a bit more then 1500 bucks.

We buy most our bulls fur 2800 ta 4000 never payed lessen 2500 fur a bull in the last 9 years. Now mind ya there was a time a darn good bull put ya out not moren 500! Them were the days a feller could take a lady out fur dinner and a drive on 10 buck and still have money left over for safes!! ;-)
Iffen ya took yur lady frend out ta dinner and a drive on 10 buks and still had money left over fur a safe, ya must have took her ta McDonalds. And iffen ya baut a safe wit wot was left over, could'nt ben much of a safe, but maybe ya did'nt have much ta put in it. :D

Roadapple":33k5vya3 said:
ONLY-BEEF":33k5vya3 said:

Iffen ya took yur lady frend out ta dinner and a drive on 10 buks and still had money left over fur a safe, ya must have took her ta McDonalds. And iffen ya baut a safe wit wot was left over, could'nt ben much of a safe, but maybe ya did'nt have much ta put in it. :D

You are showing your age! You must be a young whippersnapper eh! Who old are you 20? Even I can remember when I could buy half a tank for five dollars and buy a good steak for seven.

Before you make fun of your elders learn a few things. OB does not post much but I bet he has forgotten more about cattle then you will ever know! Hard to believe that a rancher would have low enough morals to make fun of an elders penis size! :roll: Do you even own a cow or are you one of those couch cowboys??

Sorry MikeC I do not mean to start something on your thread I just can not stand the disrespect of this young generation.

Roadapple":21ftl1ty said:
ONLY-BEEF":21ftl1ty said:

Sorry ifen I done somethen that rubbed ya the wrong way. I try not ta write letters on this here board much cuss some feller always seems ta get his back up at my written. Sorry i hit on such a touchy subject fur ya. Most of my letter was refuren ta the cost of good bulls.

We bought our bull when he was 10-12 months old from a good friend of ours for less than 2000. He's a Stockman 365 son but isn't registered because of lack of semen cert. We AI Our best 1/2 of cows any ways some he had to clean them up and breed the lowers. I've actually been very pleased with his progeny thus far. He's moderated ou frame size quite a bit, and we've never had to pull one of his calves. To bad he's got to go this year.

Mike, this is a little off subject.

I was at the Fla bull test sale this weekend and overall it went fair for the Angus people with a couple of trainwrecks.

The high selling Angus bull was from Williams Angus Farms from newton ($3,700) and the high selling Sim bull went for $4,000.00 (Dream On,, Son) The high selling charolais Bull was I think $2,000 from SCC a WW son.

Some sellers got their pockets cleaned with $800 and $650 for their Angus bulls. The 650 one went a little nuts in the ring and chased the ring man from his protective alley as he went between the panels and out the other side, he didnt have any bids until then and sold for $650 I almost bought him and would have taken him direct to the slaughter house if I had room in the freezer. He was definately grain fed.

Chris, I wish I had known you were going down there. I wanted to go but nobody else from around here wanted to.

Wonder how our buddy here with the Pinzgauers made out in the sale?

The EPD sale next month at Letohatchee will prolly go the same way as this sale did. :shock:

In the next couple of years there will lots of guys kicking their own butts, wishing they had taken advantage of these prices.

It's better to have too many bulls than not enough.

From a commercial standpoint, No I'm not going to pay those high prices for a bull.

There are too many good cattle people around me that I could get advice from and sound advice at that.

I'd rather buy 2 or 3, 8-10 month old bull calves at the sale barn, let em grow up and then decide which one I liked best.
My hubby's boss has gotton all his bulls from the West Plains sale barn, never paid more than $1000 and some of them have been registered bulls.

I'm not paying for him going on test to see how much he can gain, with high grain prices, he'd better do well on grass and he'd better throw get better than himself or he'll be hamburger for McDonalds.

As someone said on page 1, you can find good bulls, just take your time and start looking in advance .... not the week before you need him.

I think a lot of people are gonna have to rethink their genetics in the next few years, get back to a calf operation that can grow on grass and milk, any animal should gain on grain.

I'd rather buy 2 or 3, 8-10 month old bull calves at the sale barn, let em grow up and then decide which one I liked best.

Never mind. I'm not gonna say it. :roll:

Latest posts