Low Price Question from Cattle Auction

Help Support CattleToday:

bret314

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have been reading this board for a while and really enjoying it, and learning a lot, and I have a question maybe some of you all can help me out with.

I am attempting to run a very small feeder calf operation, (90 acres), and I am in my second year. I just took my first bunch of calves to auction, and ended up getting surprisingly low prices for them. Basically I am wondering what the contributing factors were, and what (if anything) I might be able to do to have the next batch go through for better prices.

The steers were about 18 month old Jersey/Angus crosses, ( black hides with a small white spot or two.)

I had three sell together, average weight 862 lbs, Price $83.00.
I one slightly smaller, 705 lbs , Price $74.00.

The market report from the auction lists feeder steers 700-800 lbs at $130.00-$145.00

So am wondering what was wrong with my animals to come in so much lower.

The animals were dairy crosses, so definitely not as heavy framed as a pure beef breed, so I expected that to work against me a little.

They were also coming off straight pasture for the last year. Plenty of grass, but nothing but grass. (and mineral supplement). So they were healthy with good coats, but were definitely not fat. About body condition 4, maybe on the low side of 4.

The only other thing I can think of that might have worked against me was that they did have horns. I expected that to be a small minus, but not a big deal.

What do you guys think? Did I shoot myself in the foot by not trying to fatten them up more? Were the horns a bigger deal than I expected?

I knew they wouldnt bring top dollar, but I was pretty surprised to not even break $100.00.

Let me know if any of you have any thoughts or insight on what I might have done wrong and what I could do better in the future!

Thanks!

I would call the auction yard. We had a steer sell really low last year, and I called to find out why. They will be honest with you. Ours was limping, obviously injured himself after offloading. Would not have known if I did not call. The only way you learn is by asking questions.

The Jersey X was the biggest factor in your price. The fact that they weighed over 800 lbs and were in your own words a bcs of 4 also contributed. When you get a market report, it is typically for the top end of the cattle. Dairy cross calves are a good deal cheaper.

If this is the cross you want, you need a different marketing plan. Freezer beefs maybe.
CSM

Thanks for the info everyone! Sounds like I need to be sure and get straight beef-breed steers next year!

I ended up with the scrub Jersy/Angus cross steers just because they were fairly cheap on the front end, knowing they wouldnt be quite as valuable on the back end, but I definitely didnt realize just how much less valuable.

Denvermartinfarms, it sounds like you have had really good luck with straight holsteins, which is interesting! I have one straight holstein steer that is about 670 pounds right now. I a going to try and fatten him up a little and sell him soon, hopefully I will get closer to $100/cwt for him if I am lucky.

I have raised cattle for many years and now I am totaly cunfused :bang: I read in another post the other day that dairy cattle was the highest marble meat and some of the best beef there was . I disagreed with them and thought I had commited a crime. seems if it is so good these cattle should have brought prime. O well they just should not have had that sorry Angus in them :banana:

BRYANT":3ewz0i69 said:
I have raised cattle for many years and now I am totaly cunfused :bang: I read in another post the other day that dairy cattle was the highest marble meat and some of the best beef there was . I disagreed with them and thought I had commited a crime. seems if it is so good these cattle should have brought prime. O well they just should not have had that sorry Angus in them :banana:
The meat is very good IF you know how to finish them out. Other than that it's a known fact around this area that anything with dairy in it brings less money across the board than beef animals unless you're at a dairy sale and even then you can't give bull calves away.

BRYANT":3dx4jj9a said:

Holsteins marble as well as any if they are fed right. They still won't bring a premium at the salebarn probably because of efficiency.

862 lb avg with probably 600 lbs of bones and guts. Can't eat either so there's no value to the feedlots. You need to market something with more carcass and less bone to turn a nickel

Well here's my 2cents, horns will cost you more than you think. And a Angus bull should of knocked most of the horns off.

bret314":3vx6yw2e said:
Thanks for the info everyone! Sounds like I need to be sure and get straight beef-breed steers next year!

I ended up with the scrub Jersy/Angus cross steers just because they were fairly cheap on the front end, knowing they wouldnt be quite as valuable on the back end, but I definitely didnt realize just how much less valuable.

Denvermartinfarms, it sounds like you have had really good luck with straight holsteins, which is interesting! I have one straight holstein steer that is about 670 pounds right now. I a going to try and fatten him up a little and sell him soon, hopefully I will get closer to $100/cwt for him if I am lucky.
Around here a 6wt stein will bring a dollar. If you stay with dairy calves the best about the best way to go IMO for them, is buy weaned Holsteins at about 200lbs and feed to 550lbs. They should get there in about 6 months and that is a good size to market if your selling less than a load, here anyway. I feed more beef calves anymore, but the good point of Holsteins is you can make a decent profit and have a lot smaller investment to fill your pastures.

Latest posts