Low milk production

Help Support CattleToday:

longhorntractor

Reaction score
I have a cow that is not producing much milk. Any suggestions on ways to increase milk production ? Are there any shots that the vet can give the cow to help?

Thanks in advance!

longhorntractor":1a1xc44y said:
I have a cow that is not producing much milk. Any suggestions on ways to increase milk production ? Are there any shots that the vet can give the cow to help?

Thanks in advance!

How do you know how much she's producing?? Does it show in the calf??

Oxytocin can stimulate milk production but I believe it's only effective right after she calves - call your vet to make sure. That said, how old is she? Could be she's getting too old to produce much. Has she produced well with prior calves? Some times it just takes a couple weeks for the milk to really start flowing but in the meantime you may want to supplement the calf with a bottle if you don't think it's getting enough.

longhorntractor":6whdlzd3 said:
Yes, it is showing on the calf. The cow is about 4 years old. This is her third calf. The others were fine.
Then I'd load her and the calf up and sell them both.

She could not be getting the nutrition she needs... As well as many other reasons. But If not happy or have the time to investigate root cause as was stated ship em... I would try to make sure that it was not something I weren't doing properly or overlooking.

skyhightree1":3ibcyfuf said:
She could not be getting the nutrition she needs... As well as many other reasons. But If not happy or have the time to investigate root cause as was stated ship em... I would try to make sure that it was not something I weren't doing properly or overlooking.

Ditto! If she's always been a good cow & producer I would make sure there wasn't anything else wrong. Is her temp normal, good condition/appetite, perky ears, not lame, no coughing/drooling, not lagging? And I'm assuming her udder is good (no mastitis).

If it's a cow I really like I will make multiple trips to the vet, do everything I can. If not, there's one trip to the Sale Barn.

Oxytocin is involved in 'milk let-down', but does nothing to stimulate or increase milk production.

Calf sired by the same bull as the other three? It's possible that her milk production is no different... but the calf may just not be genetically capable of performing at the level of the previous calves. Sometimes the bull and cow genetics just don't 'nick' well.

Latest posts