Lot size

Help Support CattleToday:

Lbass

Reaction score
Going to be starting a new corral soon on a farm that doesn't have one. Clean slate, farm doesn't even have a panel catch pen.

The corral I've got drawn up has a holding pen 56x56, which is bigger than the 1 here at home, and it will hold 100 cows. Should have plenty of room for growth if I get a chance to buy something bordering me.

What size Lot should I have between the field and holding pen, The easiest and cheapest spot would be 100x150. Sound Workable?

Poke around the internet...lots of good info including ideal dimensions per head/type of animal, flow layouts, handling ease etc.

My pens will hold about 60 pairs but I have found it much easier to only run in about 20 at a time. The rest stay in about a 150 x 150 holding area. Not crowding them keeps them calmer and keeps the calves from getting pushed around. Sorting is much easier.
The ones in the holding area watch and learn when they see the others being released after working. Most will be eager to get it over with and come on in as soon as I open up the gate. Of course you always have one or two knuckleheads.

Pretty much what i'm looking at. Might change the Bud box, alley, and portable alley details.

Bud box - hmmm. I have never been a fan. I talked with a couple recently that has a Bud box and they are re-doing their facilities. Says it works great - when it works great. When cattle don't want to oblige, you are stuck. No way to FORCE them to go where you want them to until THEY decide they will do it on their own. I don't work that way. When I want cattle to go up an alleyway into the chute, I want them to do it when "I" want it done - not when they feel like it.
For anyone new at putting in facilities, think about it long and hard before doing the Bud box method. I think the majority of time - especially when you are working a group - it will work great. Cattle like to "get out" and they go back where they came from, but what do you do with the one cow you have to work and she won't go?

Latest posts