Lost one

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":2izdy43q said:
Dumb heifer had it in the middle of the pasture. She didn't have the sense to get in the woods.

I have seen them go into the woods. 4 years ago, I heard a ruckus. I knew a cow was due. She would bawl every now and then. I thought she was having delivery problems. When I got there, the calf was just born, up under her legs. The trees were loaded with the black devils. I came back to the house and got the gun, stalked into them and got one. The rest flew off. Every since then, I bring them to the facility to calve.

Sorry to hear that. We have had that problem a few years ago, but fortunately haven't had issues with them lately. It always worries me, we having calves now and seems like everyday I see a couple flying over. Sometimes it looks like they come close to the ground swooping down and them go back up.
The first time we had a calf killed by them, I saw a bunch of them on the ground circled around a cow and new calf. That was several years ago before I knew there was a difference in buzzards. I had somewhere to be and drove by and saw the cow running at them trying to fight them off, idiot me thought they were just after the afterbirth, I was sure wrong. They need to be taken off the endangered species list for sure, maybe even put a bounty on them.

With all the rain they've become ravenous.. My daughter is getting a license so we can start knocking their numbers down. I had a cow who was semi paralyzed, dead calf, and when I pulled up to the gate I swear there were over 100 on the ground around her. They got the calves eye and hoof pads and it looked like they were about to start on her. She was exhausted. It was only a matter of minutes and she would have been next......horrible way to die..horrible. She's almost ready to put back out, soon as its not as muddy. Not ready for a pond pasture, but, she'll recover...

I wish they all would spontaneous combust, doesn't replace the 700 dollar bull calf. I would feel better bet there was fifty after the calf the whole herd was trying to fight them off.

Caustic Burno":2s5lg1iy said:
I wish they all would spontaneous combust, doesn't replace the 700 dollar bull calf. I would feel better bet there was fifty after the calf the whole herd was trying to fight them off.

I've had a couple of them commit suicide, while I was driving down the road, they just kinda jumped in front of my truck.

I've been thinking about putting mine up until she calves, but I know in a bind she might need the others to help her and they can't get in if she does.

The down cow who had around 100 surrounding her, had the herd near by eating hay. Not one lended a hoof to help her. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

a few years ago I found a cow that was paralyzed after calving. The calf was hip locked. She had around 30 buzzards eating both her and the calf while the poor cow was floundering on the ground. It was gruesome, and I'm glad that I didn't have either of my boys with me at the time. The buzzards had finished up on the calf and had been working on the cow when I showed up..the cow was still alive. Had to put the cow down.

Lazy M":3jexvqjm said:
a few years ago I found a cow that was paralyzed after calving. The calf was hip locked. She had around 30 buzzards eating both her and the calf while the poor cow was floundering on the ground. It was gruesome, and I'm glad that I didn't have either of my boys with me at the time. The buzzards had finished up on the calf and had been working on the cow when I showed up..the cow was still alive. Had to put the cow down.

Disgusting creatures!

The biggest problem I have with these is that you generally don't get a permit until you've lost one. Well thanks a lot!!! It also has to be well documented and you have to do a lot of paperwork.

An animal is not endangered when I see 100's of them when I drive 90 miles east. Sorry, they're not. We're also not talking about bald eagles.

I shoot coyotes all the time and they're no longer a problem but I see more and more neighbors with these things creeping around. I watch my herd carefully but it's impossible to be with them 24/7.

Every one you lose hurts.

One old Norsk that lived here all his bachelor life liked to say, "He who has, must lose".

SchenkAngusFarm":qzyp9ijb said:
The biggest problem I have with these is that you generally don't get a permit until you've lost one. Well thanks a lot!!! It also has to be well documented and you have to do a lot of paperwork.

An animal is not endangered when I see 100's of them when I drive 90 miles east. Sorry, they're not. We're also not talking about bald eagles.

I shoot coyotes all the time and they're no longer a problem but I see more and more neighbors with these things creeping around. I watch my herd carefully but it's impossible to be with them 24/7.

When you catch a canine and you SSS that problem is removed.
With these Mexican vultures you make five disappear 50 more show up.

Latest posts