Lost cow while giving birth

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Just yesterday I lost my favorite heifer. She gave birth to a bull calf and from what I can tell she bled to death. I arrived on the scene just moments after and my heifer already was dead. She was a beautiful "tiger stripe". The calf is alive and the vet gave it some colostrum (spelling??) and some shots. My concern is if the calf will live. I have all my cows penned in our coral area, which is abount one acre. I am hoping that another momma cow might adopt this little calf. I have purchased some milk replacer and feed the calf this morning and will try and feed the calf twice a day. Has anyone been in this situation before? Share your story. I just want to make sure that this calf lives. My ranch is about 80 miles away from my home and I have a car-taker that watches thr property during the week and my wife and I are there on weekends. I hope that the other mommas will let it nurse but I just don't know. I guess I should look for the support group borad. Any comments would be welcome.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1yk0mosa said:
: Just yesterday I lost my favorite heifer. She gave birth to a bull calf and from what I can tell she bled to death. I arrived on the scene just moments after and my heifer already was dead. She was a beautiful "tiger stripe". The calf is alive and the vet gave it some colostrum (spelling??) and some shots. My concern is if the calf will live. I have all my cows penned in our coral area, which is abount one acre. I am hoping that another momma cow might adopt this little calf. I have purchased some milk replacer and feed the calf this morning and will try and feed the calf twice a day. Has anyone been in this situation before? Share your story. I just want to make sure that this calf lives. My ranch is about 80 miles away from my home and I have a car-taker that watches thr property during the week and my wife and I are there on weekends. I hope that the other mommas will let it nurse but I just don't know. I guess I should look for the support group borad. Any comments would be welcome. <p>
<br>

Hi there i know the feeling very well of losing an animal that means alot to you have been there many many times... And i have raised many many calves without there mothers it is done quite a bit here i live in northern ont canada here and the winters are terrible so ususally when we lose a cow or a calf getts really really cold i have evn resorted to brigging the calf into the house to bottle feed. Usually another cow will not just take to anothers calf willing they will usually kcick them away that is my experience however bottle feeding it it can survive.. You will have to be very very careful that he is getting enough to drink if not ulternative measure will have to be taken feeding with a tube down the throat (have done this many many times also) also another thing to be very very watchful of is that this little guy does not scour on you it is very common for calves to scour when they are not fed there mothers milk. But to you ?? is it possible for it to survive yes very much so but i ouwl try feeding him a bottle 3 times a day adn watch that other cows are not bunting him around If you ahve a gentle cow you could try penning them up together adn trying to force her to take it it can be done with persistance and alot of work on your adn the calves part but be very careful that he does not start to scour treat him right away if he does..... Hope this helps alittle<br> angie
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts