Lost a good cow to Saliva gland

Help Support CattleToday:

etmountianman71

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this type of issue with a cow?

Had a nice 1400lb Hereford cow that early last year had a very large soft lump show up on her lower jaw. Had the vet come out and inspect. They found it was a busted saliva gland in her jaw and gave her some antibiotics vs having to do surgery. Said it could have happened with getting punctured by a number of things she chewed on. No other issues were found.

At the time she had a good calf and was bred back. Eating good with no issues. Well a year later her second calf was really poor, not milking well at all, started to lose weight and did not breed back. No diseases, otherwise healthy. I put her up and started feeding her some grain and hay, she was not eating the hay at all, only feed. She could not chew it up, which explains her weight loss. Also explains why she would almost run me over when I would give some feed to cows. We finally got some weight back on her with feed but decided to put her in freezer vs holding her over another year, definitely not sale barn for those prices.

So the vet said it could have happened getting punctured: did he give her a magnet? Before I started giving all my cows/bulls/replacement heifers magnets, any time there was a mouth issue (primarily an abscess) the vet would always insert a magnet, just in case it was due to a metal object and the potential to segue into hardware disease. Never heard of a busted saliva gland. Who knew?

When the Vet checked her (actually checked two times) they found nothing to show hardware disease. That was first thought. Nothing in the mouth, no damaged teeth, just the swollen lump under her jaw. LOL kind of looked like a double chin. I had never heard of it as well but both vets said the same thing.
They also did blood tests during early onset and found nothing abnormal. Oh well, it is just money to throw away, we all have it growing on trees right!!!
Just keep taking it to another day.
Thanks