Lost a Calf due to flood in AL

Help Support CattleToday:

bncsimps

Reaction score
Parts of northern AL received over 5 inches of rain yesterday; needlees to say there was some flooding. Unfortunately...one of my pastures was hit pretty hard. We had one cow calve sometime overnight and we suspect the calve drowned. At any rate, I'm new at this and I have a question.
Momma is bagged up and looks like she's going to explode. Should I worry...or will she eventually dry up since there's no calf to nurse. Looking forward to reading your responses.

bks

since she calved in the flood.an the calf drown.i think id get her up in the corral an chute.go buy a calf an put on her.

Thats tough luck, i lost three calves in March in a flood. Found one of them about a month ago alive and doing good, never any signof the other two.

She should dry off on her own without any problems but if you can get a calf right away and get her to take it that might be the best choice.

bigbull338":3ahixuqq said:
since she calved in the flood.an the calf drown.i think id get her up in the corral an chute.go buy a calf an put on her.

Ditto, go buy a calf and graft it onto her. If you don't want to mess with it, she will dry up on her own.

bncsimps":nvxqsmal said:
Parts of northern AL received over 5 inches of rain yesterday; needlees to say there was some flooding. Unfortunately...one of my pastures was hit pretty hard. We had one cow calve sometime overnight and we suspect the calve drowned. At any rate, I'm new at this and I have a question.
Momma is bagged up and looks like she's going to explode. Should I worry...or will she eventually dry up since there's no calf to nurse. Looking forward to reading your responses.

bks
you must be west of 65 cause we did'nt get no where near that.. as for the cow she will dry up on her on.

:shock:

We haven't had a drop of rain in two weeks. With the wind blowing hot each day, that water was gone two days after the rain.

MikeC":kihx0sfe said:

We haven't had a drop of rain in two weeks. With the wind blowing hot each day, that water was gone two days after the rain.

I have had hay on the ground for two days. I washed all the trucks and parked them outside with the windows down. Left a load of feed on the back of a truck over night and still not a drop. It is looking like another dry one for the 3rd year in a row.

alabama":13x4zjqd said:
MikeC":13x4zjqd said:

• >>>>I have had hay on the ground for two days. I washed all the trucks and parked them outside with the windows down. Left a load of feed on the back of a truck over night and still not a drop. <<<
It is looking like another dry one for the 3rd year in a row.
look's like murphy's law not workin' in your favor. but it's been kickin' my ass lately.

hang on boys when your drought breaks your gonna get 4yrs worth of rain without it stopping.we wont even try to cut hay till we know the weather is clear.dont want to get the hay wet.

Latest posts