Lost a bull today

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Put the bulls out into the bull pasture a couple weeks ago. BBJ was fine and healthy when he crossed the road into his vacation pasture. I drive by daily, counting bulls every time i passed their pasture.. Yesterday morning BBJ was laying under a pecan tree. When i drove back by, he was still there and his buddies out grazing. His ears were very droopy too. Went in and had to kick him to get up. Called for help, loaded him up and hauled him to the vet. I suspected acorn poisoning. But for some reason the vet suspected anaplaz. I knew it wasnt that because the bull was squirty and very docile for a bull...He just plain did not feel good.
Vet drew blood, took temp and was high, listened to gut, heart...The bull was pale, but while i was waiting for the guys to bring trailer, he was bitten by a fly and his blood looked good and thick.
Anywho, vet shrugged shoulders, treated for anaplaz and a intestinal thing we had a heifer contract that he treated successfully. Bull was in a different pasture and was never in contact with heifer. That was friday. He seemed fine yesterday, but still feeling poorly. He was eating and drinking. Was suppose to give him 90cc of LA300 in a week as prescribed.
This morning, he was laying on his belly and back legs out behind him. UGH.....a few hours later he died.
His crop of calves is outstanding. Some of these guys will hit 800 at weaning. Its always the best ones...ugh

I think removing them from the source.. We plan to fence off these woods. Most years it isnt a problem, but occasionally we'll get one and usually we find them dead already.

Kingfisher":tzxrvcfn said:
What's the treatment for acorn poisoning?
None really. Some try getting some charcoal down them hoping it will absorb some of the tannic acid. LIke Cowgirl said, if you can move them to another pasture til acorns are gone that will help. Acorns don't affect all cattle the same way. Some hardly have any problems and others die quickly.

The way he was laying when we found him this morning was so weird. I had a cow once that i found the same way. Looked like she walked out of the pond about 10 ft, fell down like this and died. No evidence that she ever moved a leg after she went down. Straight up with back legs straight out behind her. Never noticed this cow was sick, but, sometimes when i check on them they are all packed in under a tree laying down. I dont ever go in and make them all stand. The only time i ever make a cow stand is if she's the only one down....

TCRanch":2yip689k said:
Big suck!!! I am so sorry. Did the vet actually do a blood test for anaplaz or just check his gums to see if they were white?
He ran a blood test. He said the levels were off in the direction of anaplaz but not at any dangerous levels. He said it could point towards the beginning of anaplaz but could be something else. I'm guessing it was something else and that something else was fatal..
Like the heifer who had the squirts and was treated and let out. While in the corral, her poop was very bile smelling and his had the same smell.....if that points in any direction....

You've had a rough month =(. The only times i can remember that bile smell (because you can't un-smell that!) is a cow that had advanced hardware & the one we just lost to lynphosarcoma - except hers was consistency & color of tar.

Had a cow with what I assume was a broken back (bull induced?) dragging her back end like that once. But she was still alert and felt alright otherwise... until the lead injection.

Anaplaz does not always cause the "excitability" or "aggression". I have seen many with no personality change.

I am sorry for your loss. :(

branguscowgirl":12f3kkkr said:
Anaplaz does not always cause the "excitability" or "aggression". I have seen many with no personality change.

I am sorry for your loss. :(
He was such a good bull too. I was out looking at his sons and there are 3 keepers. We want to keep that heavy weaning blood line. One is superb....out of a great older cow too...The one we'll probably keep looks just like him.

That's too bad. Hope your luck turns!
We just turned our cows out into some new fall grazing areas we poly-wired off. This makes me nervous now as i don't know if there are oak trees around there. If there are, it's not the predominant tree.
How many acorns are too many?

If you see anyone spending a lot of time in the trees, look into it. BBJ was in the woods daily. I'd count them every time i passed their pasture and he was always at the edge of the woods. He was easy to see because of his white face.

Cowgirl, do not dismiss anaplasmosis. I have a good friend over in the Pittsburg area that says it has been bad this year. He uses some special mineral every summer to prevent.

I live near Pittsburg. Tell me more about this mineral?
I have not heard any discussion locally about anaplasmosis from other ranchers or our vet...

LauraleesFarm":5ufcazta said:
I live near Pittsburg. Tell me more about this mineral?
I have not heard any discussion locally about anaplasmosis from other ranchers or our vet...

Loose mineral with chlortetracycline (CTC) aids against anaplasmosis. Your local COOP should carry it.

Latest posts