Lost a bred heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

rRandel

Reaction score
Well last saturday night i lost a bred heifer... did chores sunday morning and there she was dead. I didnt really see alot of signs of anything and she was fine the night before when doing chores, she was kinda one of my favorites always at the bunk waiting for me, calm... anyways had a post done on her and vet says she died trying to abort? These heifers are due march 15 so about 2 months from now. I would have thought she could have aborted easily being that far from calving date??? Any thoughts???? Really makes me nervous!

We had a heifer last year try to abort a dead calf but she didn;t dialate at all. Caught it in time and pulled the calf but had to manually dilate her cervix one finger at a time before we could get the calf out.

thanks for the reply, the vet did say that the calf was dead inside her and that he could tell from the inside that she was trying to dialate but i would have not noticed anything from the outside. This makes me feel better because it makes sense now, i hate to say it but i kind of questioned the vet at first

Could there possibly be any toxic weeds in your feed. I know it be hard to know, but this could explain the abortion which maybe led to other probs as well, ultimately death.?
Jenna

Latest posts