Looks like rain

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy?

Reaction score
I know a lot of you Texans don't want anymore but we sure need it down here. The outlook for our next 5 days looks good for some heavy rain. Maybe, just maybe I will get one cut off of my hayfields this year after all.

flaboy?":2kt2or95 said:
I know a lot of you Texans don't want anymore but we sure need it down here. The outlook for our next 5 days looks good for some heavy rain. Maybe, just maybe I will get one cut off of my hayfields this year after all.

They've been talking about 3-5 inches a day every day for a week. Got a whopping 2 tenths yesterday. But they're warning about the same thing today and tomorrow. The folks in SW MO have had the snot knocked out of them with rain the past couple of weeks though.

30-40% here thru monday, which means no rain. I think it may be drier now than it was before the last rain? (barry)

Beefy":1f7yr6i6 said:
30-40% here thru monday, which means no rain. I think it may be drier now than it was before the last rain? (barry)

I know the feeling. It's been raining all around us since Monday.

Nothing here yet. :mad:

You still pumping water?

no we havent irrigated since a day or so before barry came thru. (the motor tore up but its fixed now).a couple of days later we had tornadic winds (later formed a tornado ) come thru at 8am and really do a lot of damage. it only rained 2 inches but it filled all the ponds back up somehow? but we were in the middle of fixing the spillway, and had just poured the cement base and still needed to get it blocked up. so ...DAD decided to cut the pond dam to finish the project (too expensive to pump it back down that low...) so now the pond is back down low again. got the spillway fixed and dam put back now so ready for some rain. we were going to rim it out around the edge while it is low but the excavator tore up and maybe it will fill up before the excavator man gets back.

i told him if he let the water go we would surely need it and if we didnt we wouldnt need it. most of the ponds around us have been pumped down really low but ours are springfed and about 20 feet deep. got some alligators moving in...

I've got a well pumping into my pond 24 hours but don't think it will go much longer.

The wife is raising heck about the power bills................................ :lol:

Funny how those gators can come out of nowhere. :shock:

where there was grass, like in the yard... it has really dried up to a crisp now. it really seems drier than before to me, somehow. its been a lot hotter too, though.

Down here they are saying 70% today, 60 tomorrow, 50 and 50 the next two days. That means I will probably get a sprinkle one of those days. Maybe I was optimistic before as it was supposed to be raining here by now but the sun is out and birds are singing. :x

Beefy":2zbnqsuu said:
Mike do you get clouds from the east this year too?

It's weird, clouds come from all directions this year AND last.

Used to be that rains would always come from southwest.

Now the rain doesn't come from any direction, but the clouds pop in and go away from all over. :roll:

I hope I'm not Jinxing it, but them popcorn showers popped right over our place for the last three days. Amazing how a little rain will brighten up the place...

Better chance today and tomorrow. Waaahooooooooooo!!!!

r and s peckman":3pzsvxe3 said:
Mother Nature is trying to make up for the last three years down here.

I hear ya.. thats what is happening with us. Last year it was not enough rain to cut much hay.. this year, its too much rain to cut hay. We have about 110 acres ready to be cut, but cant get into the fields becuz its too wet. Im still not complainin though...
Better to have too much rain vs not enough.

OK, it never rained at my place yesterday but we only had a 70% chance. :x

70% today, we will see what happens.

MikeC":3od425hh said:
Beefy":3od425hh said:
Mike do you get clouds from the east this year too?

It's weird, clouds come from all directions this year AND last.

Used to be that rains would always come from southwest.

Now the rain doesn't come from any direction, but the clouds pop in and go away from all over. :roll:

Mike, I see the same thing here, we have been getting lots of rain lately in the Enterprise area and it will rain all the way home, and when I get 2 miles from my house all we get is the clouds and wind.

Rain rain rain,,,,,,finally we got some rain yesterday afternoon and I got soaked on my way home on the motorcycle. There were people on the street standing in the rain as I drove by too, it's funny how the rain makes grown ups act when they haven't had much in several months.

That's almost an inch total since April 1, and the next seven days are predicting 30-60 %

Well, still nothing. Seems the west side of the state and up the middle got pounded though.

I think I have the weather guys figured out. They show all the green areas on the future weather track system and all it means is you might have some clouds. Heard the weather guy in central Florida say it's raining over in such and such a city/county. It happened to be mine and not a drop was falling or ever did. If I see yellow or red on the radar then it might rain on me.

FB, I understand your situation, we only had 1 rain since April 1st until last Friday. We have had some rain every day since, good slow type of rains too. We had some last night after I went to sleep because I was just out on the 4 wheeler checking the cows and there are puddles everywhere. I know there was some bad weather coming SE last night because there was warnings out for most of the counties west of Montgomery and I live about 70 miles southeast of there.

I have my cows off my pastures and they are on some cut timber land now and they must be part goat because they are cleaning it up good. My bahia is making seed heads again and I plan to bush hog the tops to spread the seed around. I think this will help the pasture next year.

I hope you get some rain soon.

i know Holland

we have some friends in central fla that got all of 7/10 from september 4 until yesterday, hate to be them :(

Chris, I got 1.1" last night. Whoopppee!

My bahia is making seed heads again and I plan to bush hog the tops to spread the seed around. I think this will help the pasture next year.

If you cut those seedheads off before they mature, they will not sprout. They must turn brown and dry out before they will germinate. By the time that happens the grass will be as tough as shoe leather.

Don't bother to worry about bahia seeds. Give it optimum soil conditions and will thicken up from the root system.

If you've got seedheads you're a lucky man this year. My cows are eating them as fast as they can grow. :shock: :lol:

Latest posts