Looking for some opinions/advice on thin cows

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus

Reaction score
I went to local auction yesterday to buy. The quality bred cows/heifers and pairs weren't available . Seems to be hit and miss . Anyway already there and off work with trailer so I bought two cow/calf pairs . Both calves around 300lbs . Long big frame black hided commercial cows/calves 4-6 yr old cows - one weighed 750lb and the other 930lb . I put them in catch pen with quality hay , poured on ivomec wormer , and been dumping a 50lb bag of sweet feed to them for two days . Figured id do this for a wk and turn them out. Any thoughts would be appreciated ( No signs of sickness - healthy looking calves )

Make sure they have some mineral. How about cubes instead of sweet feed? I allways figured sweet feed was to finish em not grow them.

Must be some pretty weak sweet feed or you would have killed them already.

Cattle and sweet feed is a disaster= especially that much.

Why are cattle and sweet feed a disaster? I know about over feeding but other than that what's the problem. I have fed plenty with no trouble.

Thanks for the responses - I've been overfeeding for sure the past two days

I would drench worm or inject them along with the pour on and them pour again in may.

On feed I would keep hay out for them and let them each have about 10lbs of 20% cubes a day for a while, also I would put out some salt mix.

jerry27150":183rlh9n said:
why don't you just use whole shelled corn, they are sucked down by the calves & need more energy

"Whole corn" seems like it would go through and not be digested maybe corn chops ?? I dont know just my thinking ????

BobbyLummus":2b59d8j8 said:
Thanks for the responses - I've been overfeeding for sure the past two days
Bobby it all depends on the feed. Some of it is harmless as there is very little nutrition in it. You are probably overfeeding them the bagged feed but as long as they are eating plenty of the hay they should be fine. Go with just they hay for awhile and just enough of the sweet feed to keep them coming up.

Latest posts