Looking For Gelbvieh & Angus AI Sires

Help Support CattleToday:

Yep. The EXT 'disposition' deal is well-known. Some get it, some don't. Sure wouldn't be paying $250/straw to breed one that'll eat my lunch. But he's certainly behind a LOT of good cows.

I've got 3 daughters of Gardens Wave here that I really like; moderate frame - not the smallest cows in the herd, but not the biggest; raise good calves.
He delivers High marbling/ribeye/$W/$B/$EN - and has all the tenderness markers; no longer on the market...wish I'd bought more semen...but several sons out there that I'm considering using, all with more growth than their sire.

The EXT thing is some do some dont, alot of it is how there handled, I bought a EXT daughter that was crazy when I got her as a 7 year old, she is 13 now and as good a cow as I have, actually bred her to XXP which is a double bred EXT son, her bull calf is as calm as can be, I have others and no problems. Semen in the tank, just saying if you like the bull use him.
If your gonna spend that much look at Leachman Right Time really good E XT son.

hillsdown":1zues98m said:
I assume you are going for black but if you want to try red Star Buck is a heck of a sire so is Pop a Top.

Is there anyone that has Pop A Top available in the US? I saw a son out of him that really liked, but can't find a US source anymore.

redcowsrule33":3gg7zv2o said:
hillsdown":3gg7zv2o said:
I assume you are going for black but if you want to try red Star Buck is a heck of a sire so is Pop a Top.

Is there anyone that has Pop A Top available in the US? I saw a son out of him that really liked, but can't find a US source anymore.
I think semex was carrying him for a while. Call them and ask. A lot of times you can get off market bulls that you know they had semen on just by calling and asking and sometimes it's at a pretty serious discount.

redcowsrule33":ntagpcmf said:
hillsdown":ntagpcmf said:

It looks like it is available only in Canada from Semex, but you should follow CP's advice and give them a call.

Check out the McCoy and Davidson bull, they both have really nice herds. I saw some daughters last year out of that McCoy bull, they were very long and deep.
http://www.semex.com/beef/i?lang=en&beef=list&breed=GE

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread & double v through many PM's. I've made my final choices for this years bulls. I had the hardest time choosing which bull to use on my PB Gelbvieh cow. I wanted to go PB Angus to get the vigor but in the end I decided to use a Balancer to further pursue my overall plan of adding more Gelbvieh to my herd.

For my 3 Balancer cows I've decided to go with the PB Gelbvieh EXT Govenor Reg # 850450. On my PB Gelbvieh Cow I've decided to use a Balancer Post Rock Highly Focused Reg #1219898.

Jabes0623":2sz2keqi said:
Thank you to all who contributed to this thread & double v through many PM's. I've made my final choices for this years bulls. I had the hardest time choosing which bull to use on my PB Gelbvieh cow. I wanted to go PB Angus to get the vigor but in the end I decided to use a Balancer to further pursue my overall plan of adding more Gelbvieh to my herd.

For my 3 Balancer cows I've decided to go with the PB Gelbvieh EXT Govenor Reg # 850450. On my PB Gelbvieh Cow I've decided to use a Balancer Post Rock Highly Focused Reg #1219898.

Both good choices. Govenor's CE is misleading for my money. I have used him on heifers with no problems and I have a direct dtr and a linebred grandtr in my herd. they are good cattle. HOWEVER they can be flakey not mean just a very recognizable flight zone. The milk well and are very good mama's. My double bred grandtr is a dam of merit and the direct dtr is the mother of the bull I am keeping to use in my herd this year.

The highly focused bull for my money is a rock star. You will get some very smooth soft muscled calves out of him and his CE is off the charts. He will give all his dtrs good calving ease. I am actually thinking about using him on some heifers this year also.

:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: nice job!

3waycross":242113g5 said:
KHR 47R great maternal numbers only downside is hetero polled
http://www.bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=434

Junior...lots of milk and really old school Gelbvieh genetics
http://www.bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=199

Ozz Govenor.......he makes GOOD cows. I have a lot of govenor in my cows. He's a better cowmaker than he is a bullmaker.
http://www.bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=239

U271 good maternal numbers and believe me when i say he throws a lot of heifers(the no good sob) thats all i got out of him,
http://www.bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=448

Bodacious good maternal and huge nuts(higher fertility in his dtrs)
http://www.bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=411

There's more but that's a good list and they are all Bull Barn bulls. I also agree with Double V on Pure Power. My friend Hillsdown has a pure power that she loves. He is available from ABS and I have used him and am about to buy some more semen on him. Nothing against National but they say you want a pretty soggy cow(lots of capacity) to breed to him. If that describes your cows then by all means use him.

This is a good list. I can vouch for the Junior calves as I have seen plenty of them. The Bodacious bull is one I can also vouch for. I saw him as a weanling and still see him periodically as he belongs to a friend of mine. I saw dozens of his progeny two weeks ago. Pretty impressive. Both heifers and bulls. I have a few straws of his semen in my tank. Trying to match up which cows I am going to use him on.

Jabes0623":3n8euskx said:
3waycross":3n8euskx said:
Jabes0623":3n8euskx said:
Thank you Lucky P, I'll look into them. We don't need pretty cows we need functional cows. About the only Angus sire I've found thus far that I really like is Bar Emulation EXT, he's expensive but impressive. Fortunately (or unfortunately maybe lol) I'm only AI'ing one cow Angus so I can afford to splurge a little this go around.

He is very impressive and behind thousands of very good cattle. He is especially good to have in my country as his offspring perform well at altitude.

HOWEVER he is also the benchmark for "crazy b@stard" in the Angus breed. His DOC epd is a -10. Keep looking!

Well dang, thought I might have gotten lucky early in my Angus search, but don't need any crazy b@stard cows. Guess you just saved me some $ 3waycross.

I can't find it immediately, but I'm sure I read sometime in the past 6 months that Sinclaire has a pretty tightly linebred ext son that was supposed to be producing like him but with good docility and a really affordable straw price.

I'm sure if you contacted them, they'd either give you some assistance in finding him or call me a liar.

ousoonerfan22":3n1f5c0t said:
I don't know if you are thinking of Emulation XXP.... but his semen is a $100 a straw.

Edited:

Well, yeah. I think I was looking at the Sinclaire program and XXP ( http://www.chrismancattleservices.com/C ... onXXP.html ) and N Bar Emulation Ext A1747 ( http://bullbarn.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=1846 ). I think I mixed up the price in my head, or parts of each, or something.

Guess, I'm getting old and cobwebs are setting in. Used to could remember not only what I read, but pretty much what page I read it on. Now I can barely remember my phone number.

Sorry about the misinformation.

Never used him, but know quite a few folks who used A1747 - and LOVE the daughters he left behind.

Used N Bar Prime Time D806 for several years - calves fall out like drowned rabbits, get up and nurse rapidly - but will run like a rabbit, if you disturb them in the first 48 hrs, after they're dried off. Good choice for sleep-all-night CE on heifers; Don't expect any growth from steers; fairly hairy if you're in the South, with KY 31 fescue. Daughters look like crap until they're about 6, then they're not so hard to look at. Still have some here...but they're on the short list to leave, due to low-end performance of their calves.

Latest posts