looking for a few good bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
ok my Salers x Angus cows have been exposed to a Salers bull
my Purebred Angus cows have been exposed to Angus bulls
my Shorthorn x Hereford cows well i went with a Red Angus bull
and i am still looking for breed for my Simme x Angus herd and my Limo x Angus cows to keeo the hybrid vigor strong and maintain a uniform size and color
i looked at epds chose bulls with low birthweighs and weaning and yearling weights i chose bull to get good market calves and sire excellent replacement heifers does anyone have any advice or comments on these decisions

Sounds like some really good crossing. I might try some Gelbvieh on those LimoXAngus and SimXAngus cows. Keep em black and maintain some hybrid vigor. Maybe go with Charolais and get some smokey calves or even Hereford to get some baldies. Lots of good choices available, just see what sells the best and go from there.

ranching hands":19x56vjr said:
ok my Salers x Angus cows have been exposed to a Salers bull
my Purebred Angus cows have been exposed to Angus bulls
my Shorthorn x Hereford cows well i went with a Red Angus bull
and i am still looking for breed for my Simme x Angus herd and my Limo x Angus cows to keeo the hybrid vigor strong and maintain a uniform size and color
i looked at epds chose bulls with low birthweighs and weaning and yearling weights i chose bull to get good market calves and sire excellent replacement heifers does anyone have any advice or comments on these decisions

My opinion, for what it's worth:

Heterosis is best used in the cow. Research has shown that a crossbred cow is more fertile, longer lasting, etc., in the herd than a typical straightbred cow. Recently, we've seen that heterosis doesn't especially affect carcass quality and feed efficiency. IMO, you should find a good Angus bull and cross on those Simme & LimiXAngus cows. You have heterosis in the cows. You need consistency in the calves. Crossing them with a crossbred bull won't give you that. Good luck....

How about a nice polled hereford. We have some available. They would help with feed effeciency, provide good growth, and keep uniformity(unless you want black uniformity). Nothin like really nice baldie calves

Have you tried crossing your salers to the sim angus and lim flex? Since you like Salers I would go this route - cont x english x english should still give you a calf with hybrid vigor and heterosis. Unless you've already tried this and weren't pleased with the results??

Latest posts