Lookin at this chute and wanna sound smrt

Help Support CattleToday:

Rhune

Reaction score
chute2.jpg

chute1.jpg

Hey guys. I am looking at buying this chute I found on craigslist. The description is very limited. In good shape and works. I am not sure what questions I should be asking when/if I give the guy a call. I have never owned a chute before. I'm in the process of trying to build a corral/working facility.

Thanks in advance!

I have that exact chute. Just make sure everything works and find out if it is rusted through anywhere, especially the floor. Even if it is rusted out in the floor it can be easily repaired, you just dont want to give too much for it.

Thanks for the reply Iso

Can you tell me the model of the chute so I can research it?
Do you have any idea as to how old it is?
How do you like yours?
How much do you think this chute is worth (assuming good floor) ?

Rhune":36uyuq1f said:
Thanks for the reply Iso

Can you tell me the model of the chute so I can research it?
Do you have any idea as to how old it is?
How do you like yours?
How much do you think this chute is worth (assuming good floor) ?
No idea on the model and i wont be back at the corrals till the weekend. That one looks just like mine and i think mine is 15-20 years old. it is a heavier built chute than the ones i see from PR today. I have no idea how much its worth, i gave $200 for mine and took a grinder to the floor and replaced it with some scrap metal i had. I stole it though.

I cannot speak to that Powder River chute. I have a Pearson -- which I bought instead of a PR after seeing other posts about what to look for in a chute. Most of that information was that the NEW PR chutes are not as good quality as the older ones. But I agree -- check it out thoroughly. Doesn't matter if you pay $59.95 or $595.00 for it, those are dollars out of your pocket, so you want that investment to work for you, instead of you working for it.

For all those that are curious. The selling is asking $2,000.00

.. I think it might be a bit much. New ones cost a bundle though.

I think you can find a new one for 2700 . I paid 500 for mine used did some minor repair and had it blasted and painted total invested was 700 . Looks new and it's a. Self catch

Rhune":dwolwpgv said:
For all those that are curious. The selling is asking $2,000.00

.. I think it might be a bit much. New ones cost a bundle though.

Not even close to 2000. I'd say 500.

I bought a Powder River that looks just like that one for $250 and it didn't need anything but paint. I much prefer the Priefert self catch and you won't be running into the levers sticking out like the Powder River pictured although it is a good chute and will last a lifetime. $2000 is way too high!!!

dieselbeef":3j99p4a9 said:
that'd bring 1k here easy..it wuld sell ina day..but idk bout 2k or more..

agreed.

a good deal on it (here) would be $500. "worth buying" would be $1000. I've bought and resold two head gates the last couple years - was the first one there and bought them for $250 and put them on craigslist and sold them after a month or so for $450 - just for a used headgate.

If you all find one within a days drive roundtrip of Orlando for those prices let me know.

Rhune, have you posted your own ad on Craigslist, or similar, that you are LOOKING for a squeeze? Sometimes that will bring people out of the woodwork that have had something sitting around for awhile and never thought about selling. That has worked for me before.

Craigs says you're not supposed to posted WANTEDs in the FOR SALE sections, but unless you get some real jerk that thinks he/she is the local cop for Craigs, they'll generally leave it alone. Don't put a price -- just what you're looking for. And not all chutes are created equal. Some models will handle critters bigger than others. I could have bought a "needs repair" Powder River chute last year for under $200, but it wasn't originally tough enough for anything much over 1,000 lbs.