longhorn

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
looking to get about three longhorns to add to my herd. i live in ky. reason i want long horns is people say you can get them cheaper then other cattle and they will work for you for a long time. how much would i have to pay for longhorn heifers or cows that will have a calf this summer.

I'll tell you like I tell all of the other folks who call up and want to buy Longhorns from us but don't want to pay anything for them. Same with most roper buyers-pretty much the reason all of our extra bull calves are going as beef-the buyers want to buy the calves as cheap as possible, lease them out and then eventually sell them for beef after their roped out. You get what you pay for. The best way to get a really cheap Longhorn cow is to go to the sale barn and hope you get one that's healthy and will breed. As far as the Longhorns that we raise-of course they're pedigreed and start at $800-$1,000 for heifers and cows start at $1,200 and go up depending on blood line etc. Sale barn cows can usually be bought for $300-600 each of course you take a chance when you buy one there and don't know what you're getting.

Around here, the springer longhorn cows that will give enough milk have come up to about 500-600 each at the sales barn. You can get the 2nd period cows for 400-500 and they would get you summer calves. You can get some light milkers for less, but they arent worth buying. Buy good milkers and breed them to a charlois bull for yellow calves that will sell very well.

trin, most serious Longhorn breeders are in it for the long haul. As with Rustler, all our cattle are registered and pedigreed. While I commend you for wanting to get into the breed, know that to get a good, healthy animal with papers your gonna have to spend a little money. ;-)

that's all nonsense for your situation, find you some cheap, bred longhorn cows for 400-600 bucks, get docile one's and you'll enjoy the animal and make money without having to lift a finger for it. They take care of themselves and a crossbred (charolais, limousin, brangus)calf will nearly pay for the cow within a year.

If you want to be a "Longhorn Breeder" pay a grand + for the animal but for fun and some profit go the inexpensive way.

We got a bunch of longhorns that cost 300 bucks each in 1987 and they still (an '87 just had a solid brown calf yesterday)calve and produce a $400 check every year, out of brangus and limousin bulls.

That's what I stated earlier-

Rustler9 wrote:
Sale barn cows can usually be bought for $300-600 each of course you take a chance when you buy one there and don't know what you're getting.

If you're looking for cheap cows go to the sale barn and get them. That's like asking someone to sell their purebred Angus or Hereford cows cheap-not many will do it. It always amazes me that so many people seem to want Longhorn cows-evidently they must be good for something-but want them cheap.

Rustler9":2fypek69 said:
That's what I stated earlier-

Rustler9 wrote:
Sale barn cows can usually be bought for $300-600 each of course you take a chance when you buy one there and don't know what you're getting.

If you're looking for cheap cows go to the sale barn and get them. That's like asking someone to sell their purebred Angus or Hereford cows cheap-not many will do it. It always amazes me that so many people seem to want Longhorn cows-evidently they must be good for something-but want them cheap.

Agree with Rustler9. You get what you pay for. There are "junk" animals of ANY breed out there for $500 or less.

As has already been stated, you get what you pay for. The problem is that someone buys a group of cheap cattle at a sale, they do not produce to expectations, then the buyer thereafter derides the breed, because 'in his experiance' that breed is useless. When I was stud breeding, I never allowed an inferior animal be sold all culls were slaughtered so as to maintain the integrity of my breed.

Andybob, alot of dairy people do that with their heifers. If the heifers dont fit the criteria to sell as a good animal to represent their herd, they clip off the teats of the young calf. They sell these as feeder heifers and if you arent paying attention, you can bid too much thinking you have a good heifer. They dont want these animals in the production line. "You get what you pay for" is a cover-all expression that covers up the buyers lack of knowledge, judgement, and purchasing ability. Many people translate "you get what you pay for" into "What you pay determines what you get". This is how shysters and con men make their living. There are alot of people who think that because they paid 1200 dollars each for a set of heifers, those heifers are better than what someone else paid 800 dollars for. I have alot of cows that I paid 500 dollars for that are better than what some people paid 1000 or more for at the same sale. A cow is what she is. You can fatten her up, you can slick her off, you can make her look better or worse, and in making her look better you can increase her price, but, what you pay for her does not increase her quality. I have some longhorns that I paid 400-500 for and cut off their horns and they will raise better and higher priced calves than some of the 1200 dollar fancy blacks will. Your purpose for having the cattle is the first concern, and for me, the cow that raises the best total dollar calf, at the least initial cost and the least cost of upkeep is always a positive thing. If you are raising registered longhorns or registered Angus or show cattle, you have to have a different philosophy. But with anything, dont let the price you pay affect your perception of the quality of the animal.