Longhorn or roping cows for freezer beef

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
Anybody put a longhorn or roping steer in the freezer. Is meat tough as leather what am I looking at if I decided to go that route. Mainly looking to turn it into burger but don't wanna grind the ribeyes either

DCA farm said:
Anybody put a longhorn or roping steer in the freezer. Is meat tough as leather what am I looking at if I decided to go that route. Mainly looking to turn it into burger but don't wanna grind the ribeyes either
Kill one every year, well almost. Had a Jersey this year. Bought a 690 lb LH steer and a 760lb LH heifer yesterday. They will make great beef.

I'm probably gonna have to pick me one up bit a Friend of mine says he buys a older pair every year let's the calf wean and sells it then butchers the cow. Said the steaks ain't restraunt quailty but they are better than Grocery store and the burger is perfect

DCA farm said:
a Friend of mine says he buys a older pair every year... and butchers the cow.
Said the steaks ain't restaurant quality but they are better than Grocery store....
:bs:
Grocery stores in your area don't sell USDA Choice steaks???

Or he's so good at finishing cattle even his Old cull cows grade Choice?
Some people just want to believe so bad they throw out ability to reason and common sense.

Son of Butch said:
DCA farm said:
a Friend of mine says he buys a older pair every year... and butchers the cow.
Said the steaks ain't restaurant quality but they are better than Grocery store....
:bs:
Grocery stores in your area don't sell USDA Choice steaks???

Or he's so good at finishing cattle even his Old cull cows grade Choice?
Some people just want to believe so bad they throw out ability to reason and common sense.

I'm going to assume by better than grocery store he was referring to the cost. And I ain't ate a steak from the local Walmart that will ever compare to a steak off of a farm raised side of beef.

I'm not saying don't do it or that it won't be good beef or an excellent value.
But your friend wants his choice to be right so bad he's blinded himself to reason and he's full of b.s.

Son of Butch said:
I'm not saying don't do it or that it won't be good beef or an excellent value.
But your friend wants his choice to be right so bad he's blinded himself to reason and he's full of b.s.

He may be I've never knowingly ate a old cow I mean I'm
Sure I have at some point in my life we normally butcher 12-18month olds

DCA farm said:
I'm probably gonna have to pick me one up bit a Friend of mine says he buys a older pair every year let's the calf wean and sells it then butchers the cow. Said the steaks ain't restraunt quailty but they are better than Grocery store and the burger is perfect
Some of the worst steaks I ever ate were in restaurants.

Old cow, grind her and forget the steaks. As for junk beef in stores and restaurants it all depends on the store or restaurant when I worked in the meat business there was some places that wanted only the best and other only cheap beef. Crest foods in Midwest City, Okla. would not buy any beef if it was not the best, wanted USDA Prime1&2. I have cut a bunch of steaks for the Cattlemens Rest. in stock yards and they had to have the very best and you pay for what you get.

My gripe with LH's is that they take forever to fill out. I started with a few. Killed a 22 M/O bull, hung at 288. 24 M/O heifer hung at 328. 30 M/O heifer hung at 570. Did a 16 M/O angus x LH bull that hung at 570. He's the best meat I've ever had. The last pack of steaks was a sad day.

Latest posts