Longhorn Fellas

Help Support CattleToday:

TxStateCowboy

Reaction score
march88.jpg

This is an old 1988 model with a Warbucks>Texas Ranger JP/Measles top line and some other old blood like Yo Samson, Beauty, Reveille on the bottom.

Anybody interested in her? She just turned 18 yrs old and still moves like the young'ns.

Tell me what ya'll think anyway.

she's still a good lookin cow. Great udder, especially for her age. looks like good bloodlines, too

Ryan

Are you trying to sell her? Tune in to the Longhorn sale on RFD today and see how similarly bred and aged cows sell. That might give you an indication of her value in the Longhorn market.

thanks for the comments ya'll. We've got about 15 old bag longhorns that are 17 yrs +, but she is probably the most fit for her age.

At our ranch down near LaPryor (about 20 miles south of Uvalde), the old longhorns outlive and outproduce everything out there, 'cept those damn mesquites, and over time crossed with limousin and brangus, made quite a money-making (and low maintanence) herd for my dad. I recently bought up half of the old longhorns for myself to breed to my RM Whirlwind blooded bull, Ya'll may have seen a pic of him i've posted in the past. I want to keep those old bloodlines alive and registered. Here he is:

jack00.jpg
[/list]

~

That is a stunning looking cow for her age.
She will do well for you.

The bull sure is colorful as well. What do you call that particular color ?
Tricolor splash ?

The color patterns of Longhorns sure are interesting.

I cruise the Internet looking at all the Longhorn websites and pick out my favorite cows and calves.

Wish we had them up here.

CowCop":2qad50kq said:
Tricolor splash ?

I think that would be the appropriate description of the color

Wish we had them up here.

There are a few breeders up that direction. Only 1 in VT, but there are a handful in New York, New Jersey, and one in New Hampshire and Massachusetts each. On over in Canada there are quite a few, as well.

They are kind of scattered all over the place.

Ryan

Thanks Waga, I have yet to see his calves, I bought him @ 8 months old last June, so he'll be only 2 this october.. but he's been pickin' off the cows as they come back into heat after their last calf.

I have three hiefers that he bred in november/december, so i'll know what kind of calf he puts out come end of summer. Here they are, the last one was a runt... :

april042.jpg

april043.jpg

dec04.jpg

lahunter wrote:
Longhorns.... ugly critters :(

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder-but why would you get on here and bash a breed if you don't like it? There's alot of cattle that I don't particularly care for but I'm not going to get on here and say negative things about them. So what breed of cattle are pretty to you lahunter?

The forum is opened to everyone for questions, comments, etc. I just made my comment. I like Angus, Brangus, and F1. Along with some others. It's not really about the prettiness but the beef production.

I agree wholeheartedly-it is open to everyone's opinions and I guess beef is the real reason for having cattle, seems that everyone forgets that the Longhorn is the original American beef breed. They are still a beef breed and for folks who want healthy lean beef they still have a place. I guess what I didn't understand is why some folks would get on here and say negative things about other folk's cattle. If you were to put a picture of your cow on here I wouldn't say anything bad about it even if I thought it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen. I was always taught that if you don't have something nice to say keep your mouth shut.

I have angus and Angus crooses, along with most other people in this area, but I like to see the other animals or breeds that are no tin here. It's like a kid going to the fair for the first time. lol.I like the colours on them-and as for me having to use tags-I use them but just cause it helps at the auction barns when yo uand a buddy bring a mixed trailer load. lol. But all of my breeding stock is -so far, black, and I am trying to get some longhorn influence into the commercial side, because of their long life span, doctility, and their marbling.

Question-
If I crossed a Longhorn with an Angus would the calf be polled or horned?

Thanks, and Have a good day!!!!!!!!!

It could go either way-should be polled as long as the Angus is pure and doesn't have some horned blood in the wood pile. I've seen Angus X Longhorn crosses that looked like an Angus-black and polled.

Yes, she is all Angus-just not registered. The guy I bought her from had the forms but it would have cost a fortune to paper her, so I just told him to forget it and I'll use her as a commercial cow.

We don't have the facilities for horns, and that was my concern. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!

Have a Great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of my angus/brangus sired longhorn calves have come out black and white spotted.

One angus sired calf out of a tan/white cow came out solid black with an inch of white on the tail switch.

a limo bull has produced great results for terminal offspring for us- solid red polled calves that have little longhorn look to them.

I don't pay too much attention to colors- even though it is more profitable- I prefer to pay attention mainly to health/body of the animals i'm breeding and their utility. (their longevity/hardiness is most important to me). I understand the color schemes going on but don't intend on trying to produce a uniform color (or assortment of) as much as a uniform quality animal. If my bull and heifers were solid color i'd think they were just as good animals.

You've got the right idea to add some LH influence in your commercial herd. Many ranchers recognize their qualities (a good one is their grazing and foraging) and I love 'em as my primary commercial producers as well as for quality breeding.

TxStateCowboy":3qqqivot said:
Thanks Waga, I have yet to see his calves, I bought him @ 8 months old last June, so he'll be only 2 this october.. but he's been pickin' off the cows as they come back into heat after their last calf.

I have three hiefers that he bred in november/december, so i'll know what kind of calf he puts out come end of summer. Here they are, the last one was a runt... :

april042.jpg

april043.jpg

dec04.jpg

Well I can't wait to see his first. Can you show me a couple of pics of the cows you bred him to. I like to try and figure out what color or design calf will come from the two.
My son has talked about doing a little research on probablitilies of color and design.

Now I will get on my soapbox!
And as to lahunter, you can have your opinion it may not be the best and it may not be the worst if you will notice my description of a longhorn is they are designed not breed and they are not all the same color, so someone up there in Heaven has a GREAT PALATE! There are not two alike unless they are cloned and if the Great Spirit thinks it needs to happen the background of a Mama or past Daddy will come into play!
Okay I am done I am getting down now! NEXT!

Latest posts