Longhorn Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

anniecowgirl

Reaction score
I was driving past a beautiful cattle ranch in Michigan this past weekend and thier were about 25 - 30 cattle way out in the field. I went up to the gate and yelled...come here babies and all of them came running, I was able to pet them.
Are all longhorns this friendly??

Annie

Because of their horn size, most folks assume,( as I did ) that they are extremely mean and hard to handle.
In most cases the opposite is true. They are very intelligent and when treated with the respect that any breed deserves as an animal that is very much larger than you, they can be a lot of fun. Watching them in the pasture is one of my favorite things. They tend to do things that not all breeds will do. They are very good forages, extremely protective mothers and do well in most any climate.
Mine are handeled daily,(called to the gate). As was probably the case with the ones you saw. Hope this helps.

I have had several longhorns over the years and the majority of them have been very gentle.

anniecowgirl":1z58sfm3 said:
I was driving past a beautiful cattle ranch in Michigan this past weekend and thier were about 25 - 30 cattle way out in the field. I went up to the gate and yelled...come here babies and all of them came running, I was able to pet them.

Annie

You really need to think about driving up to some cattlemans gate and calling up cows.
With as many cattle thefts that have been going on you could find yourself trying to talk your way out of trespass charges at the minimum.

stocky":p65fau90 said:
I have had several longhorns over the years and the majority of them have been very gentle.

sorry but a different thing all togther, Stocky is that a British White in your avatar? such cute little cows.

Caustic Burno":1x4rxb3t said:
anniecowgirl":1x4rxb3t said:

Annie

You really need to think about driving up to some cattlemans gate and calling up cows.
With as many cattle thefts that have been going on you could find yourself trying to talk your way out of trespass charges at the minimum.

Now that be some sound advice, Caustic. I agree.

I have been to that farm before...and they dont mind if you stop as long as you dont go over the fence...they are friendly people there...they dont think all people are going to steal from them

Longhorn Temperaments: On a scale between 1 and 100...lol.

To explain... Lot depends on their breeding, management, and people interaction. We have one or more that you definitely want to keep your distance from (but they produce great docile calves). We have one or more that come up to you to be petted. We have one or more that you can walk up behind or to their side and they'll stand there. Others, might try to kick you...lol.

The trick is: To know the personality of ANY given Longhorn and know what they want, will tolerate, and how they will relate to a human. ON THE WHOLE, however, Longhorns are very docile and easily managed. A Longhorn will not aggress on impulse: They will size up the problem, situation, then decide on a course of action toward a predator. Yet, don't try to get between a mama and her un-weaned calf; or, between a bull and a cow in heat... About true for any breed...no?

If we end up with a calf that has an attitude problem...well, he/she's either going to Sale Barn or in our Freezer... ;-)

Another things with Longhorns: They are very agile, can run fast, and make a 90 degree or 360 deg. turn on a dime. They also love to play in the pasture regardless of how old they might be.

Chrisy,
You are right, although many of the longhorns I have had loved to be petted or fed out of the hand and would come to me anywhere in the pasture, that is just what I call being gentle.
Yes, that is a pic of British Whites. We put a BW bull with our milk cows in the early 80s and saved the heifer calves and have almost 100 of the crossbreds that have the BW markings and color patterns. They are wonderful cattle and are sure beautiful lying in a green field or lying and standing in the snow and you see the noses and ears stand out against the snow background.