longhorn age at maturity

Help Support CattleToday:

milesvb

Reaction score
If I were to consider a Longhorn for a heifer bull, at what age would I reasonably expect him to be able to service heifers? Are they typically early, late or average maturing compared to other breeds?

Thanks.

We put a Longhorn Bull in service at 14 mos old. At about same time, he is taken to A.I. Station for semen jump & evaluation. A 14 to 24 month old LH bull should be able to service between 15 and 25 heifers/cows.

Thanks Bill. So that would make them comparable to other breeds on average. I only kept back a few replacements this year and I couldn't find a Jersey rent bull. My next option is a young Longhorn that I can sell once I'm through with him. Looks like that would be the way to go.

milesvb":10kx1vam said:
If I were to consider a Longhorn for a heifer bull, at what age would I reasonably expect him to be able to service heifers? Are they typically early, late or average maturing compared to other breeds?

Thanks.

Per your question above, here is status on 4 of our young yearling bulls:

One is 15 mos, took to have semen tested today, tested good. His brothers have been used for commercial bulls. Next one is 11 months, is from a "beef" line of longhorns, may end up holding him for commercial bull ready for service late summer. Next one is 17 mos, semen tested, already in service to several of our heifers and cows. Last one is 13 mos, probably semen test him next month, expect good semen.

One other bull we have that is 25 mos old, taking to processor tomorrow for our own freezer beef. He is fine-boned, however, have one nice calf on ground by him and one more due any day. Even though he is solid black, no one wanted him! Our Senior Bull, A.I. Certified..."ain't goin nowhere" as he is putting great calves on the ground here!

We had some more bull calves born this spring. It's always hard to decide what to do with bull calves...lot of variables to consider. However, we try to decide by weaning if bull calf is a "horn" prospect, "beef" prospect, "steer" prospect (freezer or sale barn), and so on. Just because their pedigree is great and promising, it is no substitute for what type of calf hits the ground and how it looks, fills out, etc.!

Latest posts