Long Night At the Vet

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Evening of Mar. 31 I put a second calver in the chute that was in distress. Upon inspection I found a tail so figured it was just a matter of straightening things out and pulling the calf out. But then I got confused. Tail seemed to be on backwards, and when I followed the hind legs down everything got weird, it seemed like below the hocks they went the wrong direction and I couldn't bring them around. I've been really tired lately calving in this weather, so allowed that I may have just been too foggy to make sense of it. But I was pretty sure it wasn't twins all tangled up. So off to the vet I went.
Because of the virus I was not allowed to watch the surgery so I told the vet that I thought we were dealing with a deformed calf that needed a c-section to come out. She said she would inspect. A short time later she came out to the truck and told me that it was not deformed, just backwards and she thought if she gave the cow an epidural she could straighten and pull it. I said good luck. She came back awhile later and said she could not straighten it and would need to do a c-section. Imagine that I thought. But I also thought that perhaps I had really lost my faculties.
Anyway, 4 hours later she woke me up to tell me the surgery was long and difficult, and that the calf was dead and deformed. This was disappointing, but on the other hand I felt a little vindicated.
And this time I did get a prescription for daily antibiotics because of the way the operation went.

I wish it was an April Fool's joke but it's not. This is what the calf looked like in the wheel barrow when they brought it out:
0EqKHEL.jpg

At home in better light:
fWo8l3d.jpg

I've seen some odd stuff, but never that.
Had a cow Monday morning that was fine Sunday night, but when I went to chore she couldn't stand and had a tail hanging out. Both back legs forward. I was finally able to get a chain fished around a leg and work it up to the calf's hip. Jacked him out backwards. Dead of course. Probably a 110lb bull calf.

Did your vet have a name for the deformity?

Vet claimed it would not be a genetic trait, just a fluke. Last year her calf was fine. So if she breeds back on time she'll get another go at ranch life.

Schistosomes Reflux, have taken a couple of those out the side myself. Seen a few more. They come in some interesting shapes.

We had one similar last year out of a first calf heifer. Was a tough pull and couldn't figure out why until we finally got it out. Heifer is due in the next few weeks now. Hopefully we don't have another mess. Doubt we will. Thanks for sharing pictures. While sad I do find it interesting how stuff can get so screwed up...

Can you give us your take on the deformity Silver. I can't make much out other than very long and bent back legs and maybe short neck. I can't make out any entrails on the outside Dave.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
Can you give us your take on the deformity Silver. I can't make much out other than very long and bent back legs and maybe short neck. I can't make out any entrails on the outside Dave.

Ken

I've seen both deformities Ken and a couple that resembled basketballs with legs wrapped around. Would they be given a different term?

Not a schistosomus...those are essentially 'inside-out'.
This is an arthrogryposis deal...not all are genetic...like AM in Angus... some are plant toxin or virus associated...some we never know the cause...

wbvs58 said:

Ken

The calf appears to be normal from the the rear of the rib cage forward. From the short ribs back it begins to narrow as if the muscles have atrophied, the tail is pointed along the back towards the calf's head and of course the legs are badly deformed and very stiff. Entrails where all where they should be.
On the way to town I did wonder if we were going to find a schistosomus calf. I was relieved to see that it's insides were inside.

Silver said:
wbvs58 said:

Ken

The calf appears to be normal from the the rear of the rib cage forward. From the short ribs back it begins to narrow as if the muscles have atrophied, the tail is pointed along the back towards the calf's head and of course the legs are badly deformed and very stiff. Entrails where all where they should be.
On the way to town I did wonder if we were going to find a schistosomus calf. I was relieved to see that it's insides were inside.
Thanks Silver, I need to touch things to work things out. Not good at interpreting from a photo.

Ken

Lucky_P said:
Not a schistosomus...those are essentially 'inside-out'.
This is an arthrogryposis deal...not all are genetic...like AM in Angus... some are plant toxin or virus associated...some we never know the cause...

Thank you, I learned something again today.
:D :D

Latest posts