Long Horn cattle breeding age?

Help Support CattleToday:

cleland

Reaction score
Anyone who raises longhorns, what age do you breed your heifers and how old do you start using your bulls?

ok thanks thats what i was hoping. I bought a few to raise some ropers, was hoping that they would breed as yearlings. How long will a bull last? The cows have a bull on them that is five, the owner only wants $400 for the bull but he is five years old. I would not be interested in any other bull at that age, but for the few cows he would be with with it not such a big deal.

Longhorn bulls can still be in service for 10, 15 years or? Depends on his overall health, nutrition, etc.

If you're getting a bull...make sure your fences are adequate and he is NOT across the fence from any other bull. If another bull is "next door", then you need a fenced alleyway to separate them so they can't sniff and rub noses...otherwise, a wreck waiting to happen.

Make sure the bull is "tame" and not usually a fence crasher, escape artist, etc.

Running Arrow Bill":asio8tln said:
Longhorn bulls can still be in service for 10, 15 years or? Depends on his overall health, nutrition, etc.

If you're getting a bull...make sure your fences are adequate and he is NOT across the fence from any other bull. If another bull is "next door", then you need a fenced alleyway to separate them so they can't sniff and rub noses...otherwise, a wreck waiting to happen.

Make sure the bull is "tame" and not usually a fence crasher, escape artist, etc.
Wreck is a GOOD word---or you could say-----Alot of torn up fences !! :tiphat:

That's why our LH bull didn't get to stay. A beautiful animal, but he was constantly in our neighbor's pasture beating up on his bull. Extra hot wire, higher strands...didn't matter. He just sailed over it most of the time. Often the only fence repairs were from making a hole to run him back through to our property.

Latest posts