Long hair or short hair?

Help Support CattleToday:

Tx-beefmaster-showman

Reaction score
This is a debate that i dont think is ever going to be tackled in the show industry...

I'm personally a fan of the short haired cattle, because it seems like they do not have to hide anything. A person could groom a cow (with long hair) into any shape that they wanted!

Just thought i would post this to see what everyone else thinks :D

Tx-beefmaster-showman":pn38u87e said:
This is a debate that i dont think is ever going to be tackled in the show industry...

I'm personally a fan of the short haired cattle, because it seems like they do not have to hide anything. A person could groom a cow (with long hair) into any shape that they wanted!

Just thought i would post this to see what everyone else thinks :D

I agree that this is never going to be tackled but here's my thoughts.

I like the longer haired cattle. Around here it seems like the kids will work with their cattle more if they are working towards achieveing something...ie growing hair. I think that 'grooming the hair into any shape they want' is all part of the game. In fact, I find it really fun and relaxing. But hey, thats just me!!! :D

For the most part, the cattle that are "groomed into shape" have the best shape to begin with. Also with grooming, the kids work with their animals more and learn the art of clipping cattle. I definatly think long hair is a good thing.

I like both really.

I love the shows that have the slick shorn cattle just because you can really see the calf, not all that hair.

But then I love the shows that have the long hair because the calves are gorgeous and look really showy.

Colorado2008 does have a really good point but I like that even slick shorn cattle are put through the same work.

I have calves out of our herd that don't have the clubby hair genes that most show calves have: They are naturally slick but I still rinse them twice a day and comb, brush, blow, etc.

The point is, it's just a personal opinion. I'm sure, eventually, most shows will go to the long hair just because that's what 'in' inside of the show ring. It may fade out again over some time.

The long hair is 'in' inside the show ring but the slick hair is 'in' inside the pasture.

-Angus Girl

i personally like short hair just because i know what the calf is like. i slick shear most of my show calves for the fair and i still can get grand and res. now if the calf aint so great then i will try and get the most hair possible

Here's my opinon on it:
I like short hair better. I think calves should be shown wet, right off of the washrack so the judge can see exactly how to calf looks, not how the hair looks.

calf looks, not how the hair looks.

I agree whole heartidly, slick is the only way. Are we not trying to teach the kids how to select a calf on merit rather than learn how to deceive by hairdressing? :p

I personally like that the Beefmasters and Gerts have to show with the hair combed down at the Junior show at Houston. That way the calf if being judged, not the hair or the fitting. I think that all American breeds should have this in their rules.

I have seen too many calves that are placed over better calves because of the hair or fitting. Followed a Polled Hereford, that pulled Grand one day, to the wash rack after the show when they washed out all the show day prep., nothing but skin, bones and hair. Not in anyway in show condition. It was disgusting(sp) thinking that that calf had just pulled Grand.

The same goes for the judges that judge the calfs based on the way that they are clipped or fitted. Sad state of the cattle industry and cattle showing. But that's a different topic. Sorry, don't get me started on some judges.

Just my 2 cents.

mom

I can tend to agree with both. Hair does make a calf look good, but face it how many 10-15 year olds are actually clipping their calves. You've got fitters doing it!!!!!! That's ok I guess, but the project is supposed to be how much the kid can learn, not who can afford the best fitter......Short hair cattle are great to show to, because you really are seeing what that calf is all about. I've seen calves that didn't look like much wet, but blow dry and fluff all that hair and they looked better. We've shown both, my son just keeps up the work with both and does his thing. He is clipping his own calves, and sometimes it may not be the best job, but he is doing it on his own........... :lol:

I like them both. Its true that you can see the true animal if it has short hair but I love seeing them at the shows with thier hair all poofed out and glued! I know that you are, in a way, disgising the animal but isn't that what all the shows are comming to? Its sad but very true! Some steers get better hair care then the owners!

farmgrl09":1pvabnm3 said:
I know that you are, in a way, disgising the animal but isn't that what all the shows are comming to?

Here's the way I look at it...all your doing with the hair is enhancing the good qualities and hiding the flaws. :p

Latest posts