Long bred cow down

Help Support CattleToday:

Hopefully your vet can meet you there and bring the supplies for you . I have a h@ll of a time finding the vein in the neck for an IV so always do them using the milk vein. Believe me if they let me stick an IV needle in them when down ,they really are down for a reason .

If your wife is getting supplies make sure that she tells the clinic exactly what she needs for an IV , the proper needles and the rubber IV tube that goes on the end of the bottle and the needle on the other . Get a few bottles of dextrose and a bottle b12 also get a little bottle of banamine. You may not use it often but it sure is a handy non steroidal anti inflam to have on hand especially with bred cows . Predef is supposed to be safe to use on bred cows but I have never used it on anything bred more than 3 months, just in case . You should be able to get a bottle of banamine with a pretty good expiration date. The last bottle I bought in 2012 expires in 2015 . If you think she is in pain (however you did not mention teeth grinding) you can give her a drug called Anafin ,it is more of a pain killer with a touch of anti inflam . I have used it for cows with severe pinched nerves before . I give an anti inflam for a a few days and then switch to the pain killed , by them the inflammation is down and it gives them pain relief enough to try and stand for a while .
I think your gal has a large calf in her or even twins and are in a position that is extremely uncomfortable for her .

There are videos on you-tube describing/showing how to do an IV in the neck and milk vein ,so that might be an option for you to brush up and gain some courage .

Again , good luck !

Thanks hd. 4 vets I talked to today said they don't like to do iv's in the field because of the risk of introducing a bigger problem. He's either coming out tonight or tomorrow. And either way is bringing me banamine and will advise on what to do tonight. I'm leaning to another 10cc dose of dex
You mention twins and that triggered something I hadn't put together. Palpating I felt the head, normal for what I would expect. But we are also able to feel a lot of movement on her right flank that is more solid for a larger area than I would expect. Could be.....
She's not in pain, not dehydrated, manure is good.. It's very much like a nerve issue. Ears are up, she's very alert, and has grown fond of deadeye. Pushes me away with her head, but nuzzles him. Lol

I

Vet just left. Gave 25ml dex, cpmk, and safeguard for good measure.
Basically we're all on the same page. Try to salvage a calf, the cow, or something positive
Hd, thought I'd also mention that they loves the idea of gluing the jean material to her tail head.

hooknline":2f4zdmpf said:
Basically we're all on the same page. Try to salvage a calf, the cow, or something positive
Hd, thought I'd also mention that they loves the idea of gluing the jean material to her tail head.
No bag of ice?

Dangit, forgot to mention that one. I'll bring it up when I update them in her progress

dun":3vb4irxz said:
hooknline":3vb4irxz said:
No bag of ice?

Reminds me of a customer I have in Eakly Ok, he said send me about six tubes of that yellow glue
I said yellow glue ?
He said yes, you know like you put on a bulls azz.
It took me a minute he figure out he wanted 8001 3m adhesive

I'm very surprised none of the vets you talked to would IV her in the field. I can see no reason not to. If you can find a vet that will show you the basics it's really quite simple and once you do a couple you will get it. I always put a halter on and tie it tight to her rear leg above the hock so her neck is stretched tight and take my 4 fingers in the valley in her neck and as long as she's not super dehydrated the neck vien will start to bulge once it builds pressure (it will be more visible if you wet down the hair) it will be almost the size of your pinky finger. stab the needle straight in and when blood squirts out angle the needle down and you got it. Once you learn this a couple bottles of dextrose to any down cow will work wonders. Just be careful with Calcium if you give it to fast it will stop their heart don't ask me how I know. Good luck.

Thanks Steve. I do understand their concerns, but I'm still going to get a iv kit together and a few other things. I thought I had a lot of the bases covered only to find out i didnt. I do have a brand new bottle of banamine now, but the withdrawal time is something I have to consider when selecting what to use also.

dun":943s309u said:
hooknline":943s309u said:
No bag of ice?
You have to wait till the calf is born to do that, or the passage would be blocked...Duh!

She died overnight. Brisket all swollen. Looks like her heart gave out.
No calf either.

hooknline":qeegty90 said:
No calf either.
Dang! It's just a run of bad luck Hook. We all go through it. Sorry

hooknline":1wq68809 said:
No calf either.

Sounds like your family did all they could and one that could'nt be helped.

Bummer Hook! Sorry to hear about that, I was hoping to check in this morning to find she had calved and was up and licking the calf!

I well that's not the way I want to cull any of mine. I hope you don't have anymore culls like that.

Awww jeese! I'm just getting to this thread and was looking towards a positive outcome.

I'm reall sorry to hear you lost her hook. If nothing else, you and the family sure are learning alot and sounds like you're building a good relationship with the vet.

With any luck, the rest that are due to calve will do so without any problems.

Katherine

Sorry that's to bad. I had a time like you've been having one time, but for me it was only about the 2nd year I had owned any cattle. Really made it hard to get going.

Latest posts