Loner Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

arkie1

Reaction score
Just wanted to see how many of you had run into this before (I wouldn't think it's all that uncommon)?

We have this one cow... She's an old show cow that's about three now. She has never really joined the herd. Whenever I ride out to check on them you can guarantee she'll usually be about 200 yards or better away from everybody else. She stays in good condition and has raised good calves so far but it just always kinda strikes me as odd. I worry about her around calving season what with the coyotes and all, though we've yet to lose a calf from the boogers. We keep a jack in the field with them and he earns his keep for sure but he always stays with the rest of cattle. Anyway am I needlessly worrying about this ol girl?

You're right. Not uncommon at all. Some cows, particularly if they aren;t integrated into the herd as youngsters will stay as loners.

arkie1":1xk2lw8m said:
Anyway am I needlessly worrying about this ol girl?

Probably. A few years ago I had a rent pasture that had a county road running through the middle of it. The cattle could cross back and forth from one side to the other through a large culvert (that had been made by cutting the ends off of a railroad tank car). It wasn't unusual for one particular cow to be on the opposite side from the rest of the herd. I believe the herd instinct just isn't as strong in some cattle.

Rafter S":7fmehl11 said:
arkie1":7fmehl11 said:
Anyway am I needlessly worrying about this ol girl?

I believe the herd instinct just isn't as strong in some cattle.

I would agree with that. I always wrote it off that since she was a show heifer that she got used to being alone. If I can see her then most of the time she doesn't bother me that much. It's when she decides to get way back in the trees and I have to hunt her down just to put my mind at ease that she slightly annoys me. :)

dun":2316otgx said:
You're right. Not uncommon at all. Some cows, particularly if they aren;t integrated into the herd as youngsters will stay as loners.
It's happened to me too with calves that weren't part of the group, or cows we bought.. it's just not 'their' herd

Margo. Bless her lovely heart. Old show girl. Thinks she is human. When I go out, likely as not standing at the gate. Alone. Herd on the back of the pasture. Loves to be handled. Sweetest cow in the Universe. Rather be here hanging out near me that back with the cows.

The loner cow deal is why even if we have a bottle calf it runs with the herd and is only brought up to feed.

dun":3n3nb1z6 said:
The loner cow deal is why even if we have a bottle calf it runs with the herd and is only brought up to feed.

:shock: I never thought about that dun... I have recently acquired a high bred Brahman calf whose momma died from a nearby farm. My grand scheme was to get him grown and turn him loose with the girls. This may be a stupid question (I'm sorry if it is) but do you think he'll have the loner tendencies or will the testosterone overcome that? First time bottle calf bull I've ever intended on keeping as a bull.

I don't think you will have to worry about a bull .. cows come in heat he will be with them .. might stay to himself after they are bred.. I've got one cow that acts the same.. I'm gonna have to rope her to worm her .. all the others come running when I whistle.. she hasn't been in the working pens in a couple years .. she's pretty wormy ... if I can get her In the lot I'm gonna feed her a few weeks and take her for a ride ..

arkie1":2xlhejk2 said:
dun":2xlhejk2 said:

:shock: I never thought about that dun... I have recently acquired a high bred Brahman calf whose momma died from a nearby farm. My grand scheme was to get him grown and turn him loose with the girls. This may be a stupid question (I'm sorry if it is) but do you think he'll have the loner tendencies or will the testosterone overcome that? First time bottle calf bull I've ever intended on keeping as a bull.
Testosterone will over come it.

dun":1pygtvvv said:
arkie1":1pygtvvv said:
dun":1pygtvvv said:

Testosterone will over come it.

I agree with Dun about the testosterone taking care of the issue, but I thought of something else. You may already know this, but you'll need to be very careful of that bull when he gets older. Being a bottle calf he won't have any fear of you, and can very easily hurt you without meaning to. Having bulls that are too gentle can be dangerous. I don't know of any way to avoid it with a bottle calf, but wanted to mention it anyway.

Good point from RafterS.
Only, the 'without meaning to' part of hurting/killing you is potentially off the table.

Think about how many folks have been killed, over the years, by dairy bulls...and I don't really know that it's because they are innately more dangerous than bulls of beef breeds... think of how they're raised... taken away from dam at birth, hand-raised, in close proximity to humans... they have no fear, and once they reach sexual maturity...no respect...they regard us as a potential rival. They kill - and they mean to.

That's on my mind every time I feed the little guy. I do my best not to rub on him or handle him too much but I figure there's probably no way around it. Whenever he see's my truck pull up the road to the barn he runs to the fence and stands waiting for me. The bull out in the field now we suspect was an old show, we bought him from a widow so don't really know his whole story, and he's gentle enough you can get close to him to check out if anything is wrong. However he has enough respect/fear whatever you want to call it that if you reach out to touch him he will go on. I like my bulls to be well behaved but I don't want a lap dog. Honestly some of the momma's worry me more, especially around calving season.

I think you're right about the dairy bulls Lucky P. Dairymen are around there cattle so much more and in such tighter quarters than most beef guys I think the number of accidents and/or deaths is bound to be higher.

Nesikep":1yoayiyu said:
dun":1yoayiyu said:
It's happened to me too with calves that weren't part of the group, or cows we bought.. it's just not 'their' herd

Some of the western stockmen talk about teaching cows to herd up. Basic idea is you put pressure on the loners till they join the herd, and after a couple times they realize it is safer in a bunch.

While I can see the purpose of it in some situations, for us it really didn't matter much, we don't have the predator pressure here

I have a few that hang off by themselves. I've always thought it's cause they get tried of having the wind knocked out of em! LOL! Its normally during winter when I'm haying them. B&G

Latest posts