Log splitters

Help Support CattleToday:

steerhorn

Reaction score
I've been heating our home with firewood for 16 winters now. We do all of our own cutting, splitting and stacking of the wood, and up until now, I've been able to use a relatives "homemade" log splitter. It works great! Unfortuately, he's moving out of the area and taking his log splitter with him. So I guess it's time to step up and find one of my own. The one's I see on the market appear "cheaply" built compared to what I've been using.

Can anyone recommend a good stand alone (not a 3 pt.) log splitter? Or recommend ones to stay clear of?
Any advise is welcome.

Thanks,

I had really good luck with TSC's big log splitter for 7 or 8 years now. all i ever did was change motor oil, hydraulic oil, a fuel line that dried and cracked, and air filter. absolutely a good machine.

the logg splitter we are using now is used.im not sure if it came from TSC or not but i figure it did.weve had it for 8yrs or more.an it hasnt missed a beat.the only thing weve replaced is the rope pully on it.an thats because a little plastic thing broke.weve prolly splitt 80 cords of wood or more with it.a custom woodcutter had it before we got it.so id bet it had well over 1000 cords of wood put through it.

My nephew bought one from TSC. Before he ever fired it up he drug it here to the house and we started adding metal. It was easier to do before everything was twisted and distorted. The gussets and braces were all just scrap pieces of iron we had around. As far as I know he had had no problems with it. Hence, my advice would be to beef one up before it is distorted.

The one I built is a three point. The remote handle was $100, cylinder $140, then the wedge hoses and pins added about another $60. EVerything else was scrap iron and junk metal. It split 40 inch green pecan wood without too much problem. There is still about 4 cords of wood to split for next year (all pecan) and it is cut and curing now.

backhoeboogie":5arxi6by said:
The one I built is a three point. The remote handle was $100, cylinder $140, then the wedge hoses and pins added about another $60. EVerything else was scrap iron and junk metal. It split 40 inch green pecan wood without too much problem. There is still about 4 cords of wood to split for next year (all pecan) and it is cut and curing now.

The best I have seen have been home built. The one for rent at the local nuts and bolts store is a homebuilt by a fellow that went into business making them. Adjustable stroke, auto return, hydraulic log pick up, very slick. But over 2 grand to buy.

2 friends who weld built their own, over engineered and Honda powered for about a thousand. If I had to go stand alone that is what I would do. Choose your power,cylinder etc..

I bought a 3 point made by Mennonites, $800 and built like a tank. Good thing about 3 point is the relatives don't ask to borrow it! :lol: