Log spliters

Help Support CattleToday:

SEKDUTTON

Reaction score
just about to buy a log spliter, just wondering what sizes you guys use. i live in kansas and will be splitting anything from hedge to oak and mulberry and any other wood i can find. what size engine and how many ton machines do you use along with your favorite brand of equipment.

I have a 20 ton that mounts on my tractors 3 point hitch. I don't see much price reduction in lighter units, and once you put a few gnarley pieces through it you will appreciate a heavy unit.
Lots of guys make their own up here but one of the more popular brands is "Splitfire". Some of their units split on both strokes so they are quite fast.

AngusLimoX":1576o9rm said:
I have a 20 ton that mounts on my tractors 3 point hitch. I don't see much price reduction in lighter units, and once you put a few gnarley pieces through it you will appreciate a heavy unit.
Lots of guys make their own up here but one of the more popular brands is "Splitfire". Some of their units split on both strokes so they are quite fast.

Got one of those 3pt hitch jobs from TSC a few years ago. Good unit but the legs were poorly designed and had to weld rebar for support. Great bang for the buck though.

Skedutton, I don't want to steal your thunder, but I have the same question that you do.

I've been thinking about buying a log splitter for some time. We have two farm supply stores in town which carry log splitters and are similar in everything but price.

One store has a 22 ton splitter for $1050 (Swisher) and another store has a 28 ton for $1300 (Husky). When you compare them, the only noticeable difference is that the 22 pumps 11 GPM and the 28 pumps 16 GPM.

They both have Briggs & Stratton 190cc OHV engines, so my question is it worth $250 more to go with the 28 ton or not?

What is the smallest size splitter you would go with keeping in mind that I only plan to clean up dead wood around our place. Some of the dead trees are about 30" in diameter and most of the others are 12" to 14' or smaller.

Fly-guy":1vwm1zvy said:
What is the smallest size splitter you would go with keeping in mind that I only plan to clean up dead wood around our place. Some of the dead trees are about 30" in diameter and most of the others are 12" to 14' or smaller.

In your case I would do what I could with a maul and wedge, or axe, and do the tough stuff wih a manual 10 ton that can be had for less than 400$. Cool thing about them too is you can spilt inside, like in a basement, when you feel like it.

AngusLimoX":1oyk9299 said:
Fly-guy":1oyk9299 said:

In your case I would do what I could with a maul and wedge, or axe, and do the tough stuff wih a manual 10 ton that can be had for less than 400$. Cool thing about them too is you can spilt inside, like in a basement, when you feel like it.

I forgot to mention that I am getting older, fatter & uglier? I already have a maul that doesn't fit my hands anymore and I am ready to find an easier way of doing things!

If you're looking for one with an engine , TSC has a 22ton for $1000 ,it looks like good machine for the price . It is built by Speeco.

We've got the 28 ton Husky from TSC. It's only a year old but so far has worked very well. It handles 24" slabs very well but I don't think I would want anything any smaller.

Baydog":2zj9x0rm said:
We've got the 28 ton Husky from TSC. It's only a year old but so far has worked very well. It handles 24" slabs very well but I don't think I would want anything any smaller.
If it can do 24" why coudln;t it do 12" or even 6", unless the wedge is above of the main beam?

I meant that I would not want a smaller size splitter. I think a smaller size splitter would struggle more on the 24" stuff and bigger. Of course I split lots of smaller size wood without problem.

Latest posts