Loaning out a bull???

Help Support CattleToday:

truckguy1981

Reaction score
Alright... this is my first real post and I did a search first but didn't find much on what I am thinking about...

My Dad passed away a few weeks ago and left my 12yo son, 5yo son and myself his small farm to take care of...Total land is about 15 acres but a good part is wooded. Maybe 5 acres of pasture...

He had 2 cows and 2 young bull calves and 1 bull (all black angus I think...lol). The bull is pretty small which was on purpose because he was easier to handle and still is.

My issue is that with a small amount of resources as far as land goes the bull is just hanging out other than when he is needed every 9-10 months or so...lol. Other than that just eating hay and feed and grass. I always told my Dad that he needed to just borrow a bull when he needed one or buy and sell but he always argued that was too much of a pain. We agreed to disagree and it was his farm afterall. So, yes I know we don't have enough cows to need a bull.

Out of respect to him I don't want to just come in and sell off the bull, etc. The cows are currently bred and due to calve in about 6 months and we plan to sell off the bull calves in the spring. So I won't need him for a while. The idea occurred to me to lend him out... Would this be practical? I can't help but think that others are in our shoes of needing a bull now and then and having the same issues finding one. Not looking to make money just have some other folks share in the housing/feeding expenses without getting rid of Dad's bull. I was thinking he would make a good bull for heifers since he is on the small side? Maybe charge a deposit or something to protect our investment? I have no idea how to locate folks that might need to "borrow" a bull either...

Am I way off base here?

A friend and I shared Bulls for awhile. It worked good for us as I needed Bulls in Late fall and he needed them in the summer. We each kept them six months. Both had closed herds. We had different breeds so we had cross Breda to sell and we're stil able to maintain enough straight needs for replacements. The Bulls were together all the time so they got along well. Each was responsible for loss of his own bull regardless of which place the bull was on. Worked well.

A friend and I shared Bulls for awhile. It worked good for us as I needed Bulls in Late fall and he needed them in the summer. We each kept them six months. Both had closed herds. We had different breeds so we had cross Breda to sell and we're stil able to maintain enough straight needs for replacements. The Bulls were together all the time so they got along well. Each was responsible for loss of his own bull regardless of which place the bull was on. Worked well.

I sometimes loan out bulls, usually to someone with only a few cows of their own. They're people I know well, who are willing to use a bull at times I don't need him, and who take very good care of their stock. The bulls pretty much always come back in better condition than they left. So it can work well and to everyone's advantage, as long as you're dealing with someone you can trust.

DLD":1gkj92ts said:
I sometimes loan out bulls, usually to someone with only a few cows of their own. They're people I know well, who are willing to use a bull at times I don't need him, and who take very good care of their stock. The bulls pretty much always come back in better condition than they left. So it can work well and to everyone's advantage, as long as you're dealing with someone you can trust.

That's the key. It can turn into a train wreck otherwise. And might anyway.

Latest posts