LN2 level in tank

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I just had my tank filled the other day for the first time. The person doing the filling said he just fills the tank until it starts to spit out the top a little. When I got home I measured the level in the tank and best I can tell is the level is about 1 inch above the cansiters. While I know that is high enough it seems a little low for just being filled.

Is it low for just being filled?
Alan

Was this the first fill? If so the tank absorbed a bunch of it, which is what you want.

Sounds like he filled just fine. Alot of time you fill until it flows out of the tank and then you have to wait to let the tank absorb some before you can put the plug back in.

Should be good to go.

Okay, I didn't like the level of my tank, so I took it back in and told them I thought the guy didn't do a great job filling it. The LN2 level on my stick was 12 inches (a MVE Millinum 20/20 tank) now it is 17 inches. 5 inches of evaporation due to new tank? I Know the semen was within a couple of inches of being under LN2, is it still okay? Oh and a no charge for the refill.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":28a8vf0k said:
I Know the semen was within a couple of inches of being under LN2, is it still okay? Oh and a no charge for the refill.

Thanks,
Alan

If there was frost on the cannisters the semen will be fine.

dun

If a tank is EMPTY of nitrogen with just vapors - the semen should be fine.
As an example: Dry shippers are just what the name implies. They have no liquid that you could pour out. It is lined with some obsorbant material, the semen is kept frozen with just the vapors.
Regular tanks do not "obsorb" the nitrogen. The tank was "warm" so it made the nitrogen evaporate quickly til all the cannisters & tank got down to right temp. Not sure if it would evaporate 5 inches. What happened (I assume) is that since the tank was warm, the nitrogen bubbled out much faster than if it was cold. He should have waited a few minutes, than refilled after it quit bubbling.

My Select Sires rep fills them until the LN2 runs out and then waits 10 minutes and tops them off. Usually when he puts the plug in, it stays up for a while, he says the plug is absorbing the LN2. As long as there's LN2 in the tank your alright, but I suggest that you refill when it gets down to a couple of inches.

Bobg

Latest posts