Living Alaska

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Sitting her watching the tv show, where these young city couples are buying houses for 3 to 4 hundred thousand dollars, to live close to nature, by first thought, how can they afford to pay that much without a job, my second thought how long will they stay their after all the new wears off, and they find out it is work to live their , it is not all play

I've watched some of those shows with them living in the middle of nowhere and can't get over how much equipment they have at their disposal. I don't have that much stuff on my farm.

We left Alaska in 1970. I was just a kid who lived there for 6 years. Missed it every since.

Survival is the great equalizer. Social class means nothing. Food, firewood, shelter take priority. You cannot count on phones, electricity, etc. A pocket full of money won't do you a bit of good during an earthquake or other such tragic event.

We went in to winter with ten cords of wood, every winter. Plenty of food in the house always.

People are practical. Kids are taught at an early age how to protect themselves from bears and such. A child packing a high powered pistol is a responsibility most kids elsewhere are not exposed to.

The '64 earthquake was a bad one. I had to drink powdered milk for 6 months.

Chuckie":38439lzh said:
I love Alaska. I always thought I would love to live at the farthest tip of where the electrical line ends there.

We were living in Kenai. On the Kenai Peninsula. Not far from where the Kilcher family lives.

I lived and worked up there for six years. The vast majority of people in our society today are not mentally prepared to live in the bush of Alaska. Most of those people will be moving back south in a year or two.

Jogeephus":1babx851 said:
I've watched some of those shows with them living in the middle of nowhere and can't get over how much equipment they have at their disposal. I don't have that much stuff on my farm.
I enjoy that show quite a bit, but they sure aren't telling us everything! They try to imply the family doesn't work and "live off the land". All the equipment and tools tells me otherwise. They even have a $500+ saw that's sole purpose is splitting carcasses. Most of us can get by with a sawzall. I'm not sure what they do for a living, but it's not living off the land. I'm guessing it's something to do with the excavators/dozers they have.

Alaska has a generous system to fund movies and shows. That is why there are so many on satilite TV. Perhaps they make a living as stars ???

slick4591":35r2p4aa said:
I want to live there between the times the snow melts and starts falling.

In the Southeast that would be between March and November. Some years an even wider window. But further north it might be between July 3rd and July 5th.

if your talking about alaska the last fronteir they have money.but you wouldnt know it because they repair stuff over and over.

Latest posts