Livestock Auctions

Help Support CattleToday:

markjuan1

Reaction score
If you were going to sale 1 bull, 2 yearling bulls and 1 old cow, and the plan is to sale them at the local auction barn, would you sale at the monthly public auction or sale at the weekly commercial auction? Also if you were going to buy 4 heifers, which one would you buy at? I understand the auction barn isn't the best place to do either, but which auction brings the best price usually?

Check with the auction barn. Ask them for the previous week's sales prices / results. If the barn has a website, it may post the market results there.

markjuan1":1cd2wedr said:
If you were going to sale 1 bull, 2 yearling bulls and 1 old cow, and the plan is to sale them at the local auction barn, would you sale at the monthly public auction or sale at the weekly commercial auction? Also if you were going to buy 4 heifers, which one would you buy at? I understand the auction barn isn't the best place to do either, but which auction brings the best price usually?
They are the same here, same place, same day, same time.

On another note just for dun,
We are going to take him to the sell this weekend we dont need the red calves.

Do you mean - "We are going to take him to the "SALE" (Long "A" - rhymes with "hail, snail, fail, trail, sail, etc.") this weekend" . . .and hope to "SELL" (Short "E" - rhymes with tell, smell, fell, shell, well and yell, etc.") him at the "SALE"! (Long "A")?

I presume that this is what you mean, but if I am wrong, please enlighten me.

DOC HARRIS

Old subject. A couple of years ago the same grammer question came up. I think it was finally determined to be a Texas thing.
I am certainly no one to be judging others spelling or grammar. If it were not for spell check no one could understand me. Just want dun to know this is not just a Texas thing. :banana:

markjuan1":1pnd5338 said:
Be nice isn't the word I used. The word I used rhymed with sell but started with the letter H. Funny how that happened. HA! HA!
Wouldn't want anybody new thinking everbody on the boards is nice. :lol:
Welcome

Markjuan, you can do it all exactly the way you should and miss. You can do it all wrong and hit. That is just the way the sale barns go. Sometimes you take a beating. Sometimes you get more than you should.

You can only hope three or four folks there are wanting what you're selling.

markjuan1":33ucmb2d said:
I understand the auction barn isn't the best place to do either, but which auction brings the best price usually?
I just don't understand this statement. I buy cattle at an auction and have been told by sellers that I didn't give enough for their calves. I was the last bidder with a hand in the air, so I was willing to give more than anyone else on that aniaml that day. Auction markets are not evil places. They provide a place for sellers and buyers to come together and determine value (price) on an animal.

Are there ways to get more value for your cattle - YES. One is to be able to sell truckload lots of same sex, weight and quality of calves. That is the reason the video sales tend to bring more than the local auctions. It costs money to put together cattle. Another way to add value is to have weaned cattle that have been taught how to eat and drink from troughs and a known health history. A fat bloomy, bawling calf may look pretty to you the seller, but to a buyer I see a laibility looking for a place to get sick and go backwards before it starts gaining weight.

If it was me I would SELL at the SALE BARN ,and buy private treaty from someone who I trusted to stand behind their heifers.

If the old cow still has potential, ie, good bag and bred back, in our area she would bring more at the monthly sale. If she is good only as a pounder, I'd take them all to a weekly sale. On a deal like this it gets down to things such as: do I have to miss work to take to one of the auctions; do I have to haul much further to one of the auctions, etc.

Latest posts