liverflukes

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

in the south we are advised to worm with a wormer that gets liverflukes... my understanding is that this is especially important in the spring of the year when the snails come out... my question is.. what about the fall worming.. does anyone know if liverfluke worming is required/recommended then as well? thanks gene

[email protected]

I'm in southeast Texas, near Houston, and my cattle frequently drink from ponds and a slow flowing creek and liver flukes are therefore a problem. I've been advised to worm for liver flukes in spring & fall (some people think it necessary to worm 3 times a year in these parts). Some of the folks that worm in both spring and fall for flukes will alternate with Ivomec Plus (plain Ivomec and Ivomec pour on will not kill liver flikes) and Valbazen, depending on whether they are fall or spring calvers. Note that there is a recommendation than you not worm with Valbazen in the first 2 months of possible pregnancy.

We are in the north and also have to worm for liver flukes. Most of the medications effective against flukes are effective only against the adult fluke. It takes about 10 to 12 weeks for the fluke to mature.

We worm for flukes with Ivomec F after the hard cold winter weather sets in and kills off the snail vector. That gives the cows a few months without flukes before they snails hatch again in the spring.

If you worm as soon as the snails appear in the spring, my understanding is this will only kill adult flukes leftover from the previous season. Waiting until the flukes have a chance to mature will kill off more of them.

Check with your local veterinarian or ag college to see what's the best timing in your area. We are at 5700 feet in a high desert irrigated pasture situation. What works here may not be best in your area.

> in the south we are advised to
> worm with a wormer that gets
> liverflukes... my understanding is
> that this is especially important
> in the spring of the year when the
> snails come out... my question
> is.. what about the fall worming..
> does anyone know if liverfluke
> worming is required/recommended
> then as well? thanks gene

Latest posts